RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   IMAC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/)
-   -   What About a Staudacher S-300? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/562773-what-about-staudacher-s-300-a.html)

Thunderbolt47 02-16-2003 07:22 PM

What About a Staudacher S-300?

Why don't you see very many Staudachers. Are they not good planes? I see a lot of RC kits but I,ve never seen one at a fly-in or Imaa event. How do they fly? I was looking at the Giantscaleplanes.com's 90" Staudacher ARF. It is a beautiful plane.
Can anyone tell me how this plane flys? Is it comparable to the Extras, Edges or Caps. (Notice I didn't say Sukhoi). Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly

EXCAP232 02-16-2003 11:12 PM

Staudacher comparison

They are very good planes but just not a popular as the others. There have been a few flown in the TOC and Masters competetions. RadioCraft makes an excellent one. Flight performance is very near the Extra. They are very difficult to tell the difference while in the air. The "squared" fuselage front is the major difference in looks.

EXCAP232

3D_CAP232 02-18-2003 09:17 PM

Hi,
I've just started flying a staudacher which i bought of a good friend of mine. From what i've seen these planes fly fantastic...realy looking forward to getting some time on it.
Check out the link below to my site...its got some photos of it.
Happy Flying
Richard

Atlanta 60 02-19-2003 11:06 PM

Anyone have any feedback on the Lanier Staudacher??? Boy that Radiocraft version is very nice!!! That has been on my wish list for a while now and I like building..

EXCAP232 02-20-2003 12:07 AM

Additional information

Originally posted by navav2002
Anyone have any feedback on the Lanier Staudacher??? Boy that Radiocraft version is very nice!!! That has been on my wish list for a while now and I like building..
The Lanier is a very nice plane. Quite a bit different in the design department from the RadioCraft though. They come out heavier but have more structure (foam wings with added spars compared to the complete built up of the RadioCraft). The decision would be how you fly and what your purpose and skill level is. I would suggest the Lanier might be a bit stronger and not as effected by a few rough landing. Price is another consideration for most of us. The Lanier can be found from time to time in the $200.00 range. You will need to add for fiberglass cowl and wheel pants if they are important to you. Building the kit is what is normally expected in a giant aerobat. Foam wings and built up fuse which can be improved if you are willing to put in a little extra work. Build to fly and not to crash is a good rule. In most recent Lanier plane I have built of assisted in building the Luan sides have been replaced with good light-ply ones. A sheet of good material 1/8 x 4' x 8' should cost less than $20.00 and this will do several planes. For all out performance go with the RadioCraft. There was one offered recently by jonkoppisch in the giant forum. It was the NE IMAC regional director's plane and included a BME 102.

EXCAP232

CrashMeister 02-20-2003 04:40 AM

If you build a Lanier, you will need to do some serious lightening. I just started one and I took 1/2lb (8oz) out of the Fuselage. This excludes the lightening I will do to the firewall when I get to it.

I am also going to core the wings, replace the spruce spars with 1/4" hollow CF tubes and fully sheet the wing. Move the aileron servos in by 1 bay as well, this helps to keep the wings light at the tips, which makes the plane stop quicker from a roll or snap.

One other consideration I am thinking of, is to replace the spars at the bottom of the fuse with spruce, add a few pieces of cross-bracing and then do away with the sheeting. The plans call for a huge amount of sheeting on the bottom.

It can be built light, you just have to work at it.

Craig.

Atlanta 60 02-20-2003 10:09 AM

Thanks gents, very good information!!!

Ryan Smith 02-20-2003 01:54 PM

Hello all,

First of all, let me say that the Staudacher is my favorite aerobatics design. I have some good 3-views of an S-300 GS, and I would like to design about a 40% airplane. I like the look of airfoiled empennage, and I noticed that Chip seems to be the same way (Aeroworks Ultimate). Is this legal to do this? Thanks for the input.

T. Bob 02-20-2003 05:24 PM

Staudacher

The truth of the matter is that the plane is just UGLY.
I mean really, really ugly!!!!!! :D

3D_CAP232 02-20-2003 07:13 PM

Nah,
The Staudacher is a lovely plane....very sleek...especialy the S300D version...if you prefer the Extra 300 look try the S600D.
Why follow the crowd?...should all aerobatic planes be Extra 300's? or Cap 232's?

If you want to see a realy ugly plane try the PZL Wilga!

Atlanta 60 02-22-2003 11:49 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...The Staudacher is Kewl looking...just a tad bit different...then again so am I...lol...

P.S. "You can only tie the low altitude record!!.."

3D_CAP232 02-22-2003 09:57 PM

Acroman,
would it be possible to email me the 3-view of the Staudacher?..I'm after one to prove the outline of my staudacher at IMAC comps.
Email address: [email protected]

Thanks in advance

Rich

EXCAP232 02-22-2003 11:59 PM

Staudacher

Originally posted by Acroman330
Hello all,

First of all, let me say that the Staudacher is my favorite aerobatics design. I have some good 3-views of an S-300 GS, and I would like to design about a 40% airplane. I like the look of airfoiled empennage, and I noticed that Chip seems to be the same way (Aeroworks Ultimate). Is this legal to do this? Thanks for the input.

See the rules regarding the aircraft design here:
http://www.mini-iac.com/pages/rules/2002-2004_Rules.pdf

There are no restrictions on the airfoil.

There is a design for the Staudacher already done by one of the Masters competitors. It is in the 42% range. The designer lives in the Carolinas and stated the plans and parts are available. I can't recall the gents name but will look at the Masters Video tape and get it for you if you would like to pursue that.

Take a look at the following link as it includes several 3 views that are downloadable.
http://www.rc-aerobatics.com/stick_planes.htm

EXCAP232

Ryan Smith 02-23-2003 12:05 AM

Thanks EXCAP232.

I am aware of the Tom Miller Staudacher, and my cousin Warren Thomas was building one about the time I was learning to fly. He said that it was a little on the heavy side and that he didn't like it too much. That's the reason why I kinda counted that out. I do like that airplane and Gerry Neel's seemed to fly good when I saw it fly. If it is plans built, I could probably hack and saw on it some and tweak stuff. If it isn't too much trouble, I would like more info on that tape. Thanks alot!

EXCAP232 02-23-2003 12:45 AM

Tape

Acroman330,
It was Jerry Neel's plane I remembered. He also flew it in the TOC as warm ups. Not sure if he competed with it however I think he did.

The tape with this plane flying is World Masters Aeorbatic Championship avaialble from Propwash video. http://www.propwashvideo.com/

If you got a set of the plans then you could redesign with all the new lightening techniques available today. I look at construction of other designers and then design to my own tastes and liking. The article Mike Hurley has running in the AMA magazine is a wealth of information regarding building. The CAP Peter Goldsmith designed was very light constrction. The plans aren't available unfortunately. I design with Corel which is a really good tool. Version 8 is available for $10.00 now. With a roll of 24" paper and a plotter it makes designing quite easy. Also there are several services that will laser cut parts and foam cutting services that will cut from vectors (no need for templates).

EXCAP232

Ryan Smith 02-23-2003 12:47 AM

Tom Miller was the guy that designed the Staudacher that Gerry and his brother Brad flew.

Flyfalcons 02-23-2003 12:55 AM

Lanier also has a 40% S600, looks nice.

3D_CAP232 02-26-2003 08:38 PM

Hi,
The model on my web site is the Tom miller S300D...it is a little on the heavy side compared with the current crop of 40%ers but I'm more than happy with the way it flies.
The one Gerald Neel flew at the TOC is an S600D and is slightly modified by the looks of it!...I had the smaller version some time ago...the main difference i can see is the aerofoiled tail and that it may also be lighter than a built as stock aircraft.

Happy Flying
Richard

Desertrat 03-08-2003 05:09 AM

I love my Radiocraft Staudacher. 23lbs with a BME 100, quick build, great instructions, excellent quality, and priced right. Awesome flyer, I happen to think it looks cool. Pics of mine in my gallery.

B.NEEL 03-14-2003 12:30 AM

Hey guys my brother Gerald has flown a 40% s300d, and 2 different 42% s600. The 1 I have does'nt have air foiled tail, he flew it for warm up at TOC. I flew it at the last Don Lowe Masters. They all fly awesome. Have fun.

Ryan Smith 03-14-2003 02:32 PM

Brad,

Is Gerald flying any this year? I haven't heard Warren talk about him in a while.

B.NEEL 03-16-2003 12:02 AM

we are are getting all set for imac and the masters. we have a couple flip 3ds to play around with and he has been playing with a helicopter a little bit. what are you flying Ryan ?

Ryan Smith 03-16-2003 03:33 PM

Brad,

I fly a Hydeout right now. I'm Warren's cousin, and his friend Charley Lasley gave me a 35% Carden Cap. Quique Somenzini gave me a whole bunch of servos about 2 weeks ago, and I should be getting an 3W-100 soon for it.

How do the Flips fly? I told my parents that I waned one for my birthday to have something to play around with and learn 3D some.

Rendegade 03-19-2003 04:52 AM

Rendegade pants for a S-600..

Does anyone know of a decent quality s-600 that's roughly 80" or something for a 45-60cc gas engine?

My car's not that big and neither is my workshop....

Ryan Smith 03-19-2003 01:54 PM

The Lanier S-600 is 31.5% I believe. It is about 90 or so inches, and I think that it has plug in wings. This is the only one that size that I can think of right now. Hope this helps!