RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   IMAC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/)
-   -   H9 Sukhoi, H9 Cap, or Dave Patrick Extra (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/601381-h9-sukhoi-h9-cap-dave-patrick-extra.html)

3Dn fool 03-04-2003 10:46 PM

H9 Sukhoi, H9 Cap, or Dave Patrick Extra

Which is better for imac, the H9 1/3 Sukhoi, the H9 1/3 Cap, or the Dave Patrick Extra?

EXCAP232 03-04-2003 11:16 PM

Choices

From your name you may want to select the CAP as the best performing 3D plane of the ones listed. The Extra would be best for precision and the Sukhoi also flies well. I have the CAP and have seen the Sukhoi fly which really looks nice in the air. Used a Carden 35% Extra for the first 3 years in IMAC.

EXCAP232

flynbrian 03-05-2003 02:11 AM

I have the cap and love it. It is good all around. If you can get a cap then get one. It has proven to be a very good plane.

Well the Dave Patrick is a smaller plane so it might not fly as good as the other two listed. It will be cheaper though.

I have never flown the sukhoi only my cap but from what i have heard it is rather nice. Some people like the Cap over the Sukhoi and some people like it the other way. The best way would be to fly them both, but unless you know people with the airplanes then it is hard.

They are all very nice airplanes.

baronbrian 03-05-2003 03:26 AM

Anything flown w/practice will be great once you are at or above 1/4 scale, but the will be a jump with the 1?3 scale stuff. take your pick. Personally, I like the Sukhoi.

hovermaster 03-06-2003 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I have flown the H9 Cap for a whole season, and it flys very good and with the ZDZ 80 in her it was even better, but I did find that they like to snap on you when you dont want them to. I have flown a friends H9 SU-31 and loved it. This has the ZDZ 80 in it as well. I think it would be very good for both 3D and IMAC. But yes, any plane with practice will be a good one. I havnt flown the DP Extra so I cant give an oppinion on that one but I have flown a friends RC Extr 330 w/ BMB 102 in it and that was really awsome. I think the Extra is probably the best for IMAC and it is also great for 3D. Right now We are flying a AW 36% Edge 540 W/ DA 100 in her. I love it and think that it is excelent for 3D and IMAC. Here is a pic of our Edge. Good luck.

Chirs

mecam 03-06-2003 04:43 PM

The Sukhoi flies really slow and stable. The downlines are in slow motion....

flynbrian 03-06-2003 11:27 PM

So the cap snaps (or tip stalls) on you sometimes. That has NEVER happened to me with mine. It is alot stabler than a carden cap that i used to have. That one would do that sometimes. It was mainly because of the carden being heavy.
The H9 Cap is very light for its size and the same with the Sukhoi.
Really good airplanes.

Have fun.

AeroDave 03-11-2003 06:42 PM

I have the smaller H9 cap 9 (80") and it has never snapped "out of turn."

Chris300s 03-11-2003 06:55 PM

In my opinion (***warning*** purely subjective analysis ahead) I would recommend the Cap above the other two.
The Sukhoi is a great platform and the cowl provides great downline braking. That said, a friend's H9 with a DA 100 was dissapointing in 3D. As a design the Sukhoi is neutrally unstable which makes it a great tumbler but less stable in the figures.
The DP Extra is heavy. Even with a Moki 2.1 many examples are in the 16-17 lb range. I understand that the newer ones are lighter but have not flown one. Their ability to recover on the line during rolling manuvers is their strong point. 3 vertical snaps is easier (to me) with an Extra.
The Cap is a fantastic flying plane all around. With a ZDZ or a BME you can expect lower wingloading, better 3D and vertical than the other 2. I have not seen a more stable 3D platform, they really rival the TB 260's. However the high thrust line causes some trim issues for people not familiar with Caps. Availibility of parts sucks. Since they're discontinued I've been waiting for a cowl for 3 months.
Hope this helps,
Chris

flynbrian 03-11-2003 09:42 PM

I went ahead and stalked up on some spare parts for my cap. Love the plane and plan on flying it for a long time.