RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   IMAC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/)
-   -   SL O O O W Roll (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/imac-88/8975456-sl-o-o-o-w-roll.html)

Aerobatx 07-29-2009 11:21 PM

SL O O O W Roll

Can someone describe to me how to do that long, field length slow roll?

Greg Wright 07-30-2009 10:22 AM

RE: SL O O O W Roll

LOT'S OF PRACTICE WITH USEING THE THREE BASIC CONTROLS IN UNISON

exeter_acres 07-30-2009 10:55 AM

Yep....

work on point rolls first....
4 pt rolls...
then 8 pt rolls....

then go from there...

That being said, since this is in the IMAC thread... roll rate for the rolls in IMAC sequences are not a criteria (slow, fast, whatever) roll rate CHANGE is... so if you start slow.. stay slow, start fast, just finish it

dhal22 07-30-2009 05:35 PM

high speed horizon to horizon slow rolls are a huge part of classic pattern, i just can't do the maneuver yet.[X(]

Aerobatx 07-30-2009 09:37 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure...

If I roll right, at 90 deg I input left rudder, continue rolling, input down, continue rolling input right rudder....

I this correct?

Silent-AV8R 07-31-2009 01:56 AM

Correct. But the trick is that you need to be smoothly blending those control inputs as you roll at a constant rate. In other words you do not wait until you are KE to input rudder. You are slowly feeding rudder in until it maxes at 90 degrees of roll (KE) then it starts coming out as you start feeding in down elevator which starts coming out as you roll past inverted and then the opposite rudder starts coming in until KE again and then the rudder smoothly comes out until you are level again.

See, easy [&:]

The pattern definition of a "slow roll" is a minumum 3-second duration. IMAC has no rate criteria except that it must stay constant.

As noted above, start doing 4-point rolls until you get the rudder and elevator ingrained into your muscle memory.

Then do the same with 8-point rolls.

Then do them both directions left and right and from the left and right.

Then do them all from inverted rolling both directions flying from both directions.

Then integrate it all and you will be the slow roll champion at your field!!

HighPlains 08-01-2009 08:19 AM

4 point rolls are a waste of time to learn slow rolls.

3 point rolls on the other hand get you there much quicker, since two of the points are inverted with rudder and elevator input.

Silent-AV8R 08-01-2009 10:36 PM

Except for the fact that learning 4 and 8 point rolls also teaches an important skill if the person also plans to fly aerobatics. Given that this is posted in the IMAC forum that is not an unreasonable assumption.