Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet
Reload this Page >

Fuel consumption on a dialed down Cheetah

Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Fuel consumption on a dialed down Cheetah

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel consumption on a dialed down Cheetah

Does anybody have fuel consumption figures on a dialed down Cheetah? I was particularly interested in the consumption at around 22 lbs of thrust, but any other similar info would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Fuel consumption on a dialed down Cheetah

Beavis:

We will run a specific test at this thrust setting. Are you looking for WOT fuel consumption (not many fly this way) or average fuel consumption?

My 2m Viper with Cheetah lands after 9 minutes with just 1/2 the main tank consumed and UAT full. I fly some wot, some 1/4 during slow passes and otherwise routine flying. Miserly burn.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-19-2010, 06:10 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can give you an example with a rabbit and rhino in the same airframe. I had my rabbit in a DV8R which the rabbit flew decent. However I found myself at the higher throttle settings most of the time (5/8 to full) in order to get decent performance. The dv8r dry weighs 26-27 lbs despite what the advertise weight is. I put a rhino in it (did not dial down the thrust... that is what the throttle stick is for!) with the same fuel system. I now find myself at half throttle most of the flight, with full power unlimited climbs. When I land at the same amount of time I did with the rabbit, I have almost exactly the same amount of fuel left in the main tank as I did with the rabbit... give or take 3-4oz.

Now with the cheetah, I could not tell you. But I will tell you that you will be much happier with the cheetah vs the rabbit in the flash. From the many people I have talked too, the rabbit flys the flash fine... but the cheetah would be a much better match to the flash. You will find that you are flying most of the flight at a lower throttle setting than with the rabbit. Plus, if you do decide to reduce the thrust down some, the cheetah will be using less fuel at the same thrust setting as the rabbit.

I was talking with a guy that had a flash in San Antonio. I was going to buy his flash and put a rabbit in it. He told me that he had an eagle in it and thought that any less thrust I would be disappointed in the flash. This was his words, not mine. I have been down the same road you are going down, trying to figure out fuel consumptions vs. thrust vs. fuel on board. In the end, I went a very expensive route because I ended up selling my smaller turbines in order to obtain the performance that I was looking for. Nothing like being able to pull off the runway and pull stright up or at a very steep angle and climb out. I doubt that flash with the rabbit is going to be able to achieve this on take off. However, this style of flying is not for everyone... but it's what I like.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Thank you both.

Mr. Clapp, I am interested in both WOT and average figures. I look forward to learning the results of the planned test.

Noahb, I appreciate the helpful insights and testimonies. They certainly make sense.

Best,
Beavis