Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet
Reload this Page >

Battery for Jet Central Rabbit

Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Battery for Jet Central Rabbit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Jetfan20
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery for Jet Central Rabbit

Hi All,

I have a Jet Central Rabbit VT90 with a Duralite 5200 2s Lithuim Ion. I purchased it used and went to balance charge the li-ion and noticed that one cell is 4.20v and the other is 3.81v and does not move during balance charging. I have experience with lipo batteries and that is normally a sign of a bad cell. Could I replace this battery with a 2S Lipo and use it with the Rabbit's I.C.S and pump without damaging anything? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:04 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Battery for Jet Central Rabbit

Absolutely, you can and should! I run a 7.4 2s1p 4000mah hyperion on both rabbits of mine. They love it like carrots!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:26 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to a 5000mah 2-cell LiPo and went from charging every other flight to charging the night before and flying all the next day. I use a hard-cased LiPo intended for RC cars. $18 from Hobbyking. The original Duralite is a fine battery, but it can't dump the high current required by the ceramic ignitor for more than a couple of flights, without recharging. The Duralite's built-in balancing circuit limits the charge rate to 1 amp. The LiPo pack can be slammed with 15 amps or more, resulting in a very quick turn-around should you need it. The hard case may provide some crash protection for the LiPo, which is never a bad thing considering their flammable nature. Based on the time I save by not having to recharge at the field, I get 1 or 2 more flights in a day.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:42 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: smitty1001

Absolutely, you can and should! I run a 7.4 2s1p 4000mah hyperion on both rabbits of mine. They love it like carrots!
+1

LiPo all the way!

Actually the last I knew all new Jet Centrals are supplied with LiPo's
Old 12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Jetfan20:

Thought it time to jump in and adjust the results of the answers to your questions.

1. The LiIon battery as supplied by Duralite to Jet Central and included in many of our turbine systems at time of delivery, does not have a balancing circuit or lead to do so. It does however have charge circuitry. Two leads are attached. One for the switch connection (black) and the other for V reads and charging (yellow) which must remain accessible for charging and V checks.

2. Jet Central is currently using LiPo and LiFe technology. Both these batteries have the balance plug / circuitry for maintenance. Both battery manufacturers (Thunder Power and Duralite) recommend balancing at least once every 10 charge cycles. A charge cycle is that which is performed to prepare your jet for the day's flying.

3. Many of our customers have elected to fly LiPo with at least a 25C rating. The more the mAh the better.

4. If flying our ECU (aluminum case) you must use a 2s or 2s2p configuration battery pack. If flying our latest V10 small black plastic case ECU, you have the option of using 3 cell battery technology. This is a parameter option in the "START" menu.

Each of the responders make excellent points. . .Thank You !

Any additional questions should be directed to my email [email protected] as you will receive a much faster response.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Eric