Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

ECU battery, how many flights do you get out of yours?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 AM
RUFTER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ECU battery, how many flights do you get out of yours?

This weekend I encountered a problem with my Cheetah for the very first time. To my big suprise it wouldn't start on my third flight (I had 2 flights the day before and did not recharge, stupid stupid...). After hooking up the data terminal I saw that it was the battery that was low.
Normally when I go flying with my Flash I do 2 or 3 flights, when I recharge for the next day I can get 700 to a 1000mAh into it with my Robbe Infinity 3 charger. So I just figured I can get plenty of starts out of my Duralite 2S2P 4300mAh Li-Mn pack.
But it seems after 4 starts I can't get it to run for a 5th time, is this normal?
After recharging yesterday I got 1800 mAh into it, the internal resistance of the pack was 89mOhm.
I cannot see the "low batt volts" parameter on my Cheetah because it is locked, does anybody know what the setting is for this engine?
It seems due to the high current draw of the kero igniter I get a voltage drop from the internal resistance of the pack. Is this a correct assumption?
How many starts do you Cheetah users get out of your battery?

Regards, Bart.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ECU battery, how many flights do you get out of yours?

Bart:

Using the supplied Duralite 2s2p EXB LiManganese battery pack fully charged, will give you 6-7 starts prior to seeing the "BATT or LOW BAT" indicator on the HDT. This is perfectly normal.

With my Cheetah at one recent outing, the 7th start up of the day went well, however the eighth gave me the warning. Off to the charger we went.

Some owners have changed to the 2s2p LiPo (20C or greater) opting for increased Mah. These batteries have shown excellent performance as well.

Thanks for the question
Eric Clapp
Old 06-08-2011, 05:32 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The most have tried on my Flash with Cheetah power was 7 starts and 6 full flights (one start was for taxi tests) and that was on a pretty cool day, probably around 50 degrees. Don't remember what I put back into the standard LiMaganese battery, but I know it was less than half of the 4300 capacity.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 AM
RUFTER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Eric, what is the time the Cheetah needs for a typical startup? Maybe my turbine spends too much time in "burner on" and "preheat", and therefore using too much current?
I just find it a little strange that you and Sailing can get 7 starts and I only 4. I suppose current drain in flight is not a factor, my flight times are always 8-9 minutes.

Regards, Bart.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:55 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Bart,
Went out this past weekend and only did one flight. Charged before I went out so the battery should have been at full power. Temp was around 94 with 70% humidity. Did a normal startup with about 1 minute warm up on ground and 7 minutes on the timer plus maybe another minute on the ground and normal shut down and cool off period. I do use an aux. blower to help cool down.
As soon as I got home I charged the ECU battery and put in 406 ma which I think is about my norm.

I think you must be correct about the turbine spending to much time in the start up procedure. I can record my paramaters and send to you for cross referecne if you think that would help.

Sailing1
Old 06-13-2011, 05:04 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RUFTER

Eric, what is the time the Cheetah needs for a typical startup? Maybe my turbine spends too much time in ''burner on'' and ''preheat'', and therefore using too much current?
I just find it a little strange that you and Sailing can get 7 starts and I only 4. I suppose current drain in flight is not a factor, my flight times are always 8-9 minutes.

Regards, Bart.
Not meaning to make you feel worse but last weekend we flew my Boomerang Torus with a kero start rhino 9 flights of about 9-10 mins start up to shut down -not including cool down time- without a hitch. I have the 5200 Ma Li-Mag Duralite and it only took 2408 ma to recharge the battery. We quit flying because we ran out of Kerosene (and it was getting dark). Don't know how many flights - if any- were left on the turbine battery.

With that being the case now, when I first got the Rhino back in Feb. I only got 3-4 starts before getting a low battery condition on the HDT. Scrolling through the start-up parameters showed the low battery setting was set at well over 7 volts - don't remember the exact number- which I confirmed with Eric was set too high. Since I was heading to Fla. Jets the next week I waited till I got there and Juan also agreed that was too high and reset it to 6 volts for the low volt cut-off. Just for grins and giggles I just went to my trailer and checked the low volt cut-off on my kero Rabbit installed in my BD-5 and the low volt cut-off is set at 6.2 volts.

Check your low volt cut-off setting by scrolling through the start up parameters using your HDT. If you think there is a conflict between what it is and what it should be contact Eric for his recommendations before changing anything. Just be careful when scrolling through the parameters and don't be changing stuff that is ok.

Hope this helps.
Mike