Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Super Bee Burnt Glow plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:12 AM
gchdavid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Bee Burnt Glow plug

I searched and I know that the MC9 (cold) and Rossi #8 (very cold) are the recommended ones. However, my local HS does not have either. I also know that I can adjust the power to the glow plug to make it work.

My question is: between the McCoy MC8(Medium Cold) and the OS R5(Cold) which one is more preferable and what setting should I start with for each of them? I have them both available today and I wanted to get this thing running until I can get some MC9's in the mail.

Here are the links:
MC8 & OS R5
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRA02&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCB30&P=0

MC9
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRA03&P=0

Right now Gas is at 39% and glow plug power is at 28. I am and have been using a green propane bottle for start-up.

Thanks.

Chris
Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 PM
gchdavid

Default RE: Super Bee Burnt Glow plug

Anyone?? :/

Chris
Old 07-28-2010, 02:27 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Chris:

While I have not tried either of the plugs you mention, I would lower the glow plug parameter value from 28 to 20. Then, with plug outside the turbine, hot wire connected and properly grounded, perform the glow plug test. Nichrome wire should glow cherry red with no ash. If not, increase 3 - 5 points and try again.

Thanks for the question.

Eric Clapp
Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 PM
gchdavid

Ok,

Thanks for the reply, I will do as you recommended. I already tried an OS 8 and an OS A3 both of which burnt almost instantly so I'm guessing the value of 32 was to high... for them

I will lower it to 20 and start there.

Also, since you don't know the particular plugs I mentioned but perhaps know of the preffered temp range, what would be best? Cold/Very Cold or Medium Cold??

Thanks.

Chris
Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 PM
k12rc

on my falcon running 24 on mc9 don't know about super bee but should be close
Old 07-28-2010, 10:29 PM
gchdavid

I ended up finding an MC9 locally. Its is set at 27 with the gas at 38 and it ignited the gas right away. I might try 24 if that works just to conserve the glow plug.

Thanks for the replies.

Chris
Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris:

You can always buy one of the new ceramic plugs which will give you super smooth starts and you will forget about burnt glow plugs. I'm using one in my Turboprop and couldn't be happier......
Old 07-31-2010, 05:57 PM
gchdavid

Ok, Im starting to freak out.

When I bought this engine it had a glow plug in it that I used for 8-10 starts before it was installed on the airframe. This was just a standard plug (it looks like a Mecoa MC9). Since it burnt out I have tried 6-7 different glow plugs and they all start it once and burn out during that start regardless of the glow plug setting, Originally the setting was at 28 I went down to 15 for an OS A3 and it burnt out...I tried a cold OS R5 and it burnt out at 19...I drove for 30min to a hobby shop to buy an MC9 which is what everyone uses in these engines and purchased two, both of them melted in the first attempted start. It starts once and then when you try again it times out without ignition, when you pull the plug out the element is melted and clumped. I have been pulling it out about 1/8" of an inch per the manual and I have made sure that its not touching the walls. I have done the "glow test" on every single one for X amount of time to ensure they are not too hot or not lighting at all and they are fine, it is only during the start-up that they get screwed. I usually bring the setting way down and slowly creep it up glow testing each time until its just right. On one occasion, I set it so it would barely glow at all and it still melted it in the first start-up.

I am supposed to go flying tomorrow to get my waiver signed and I setup many things in motion like a transport, a current jet pilot to be there...the strip is 3300ft and about 1-1.5hr away and it would be a colossal waste if I don't sort this by then.

Anyone have any tips?

I'm extremely frustrated.

Chris
Old 07-31-2010, 06:18 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

McCoy MC-9. You are burning out the plugs because you are using the wrong ones.

Get the McCoy and you will be good.

Beave

Old 07-31-2010, 06:28 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Chris, try this.
Before you pull the coils out heat up your plug for 30 sec to a minute. This will temper the wire and make it less likely to break. Pull only two coils out and don't try to get the full 1/8 inch. Just enough that the two coils are exposed above the end of the plug.

In a pinch you can use any plug. I've even cut the idle bar off a plug and used it. I flew my Eagle all last season on a Fox Standard plug that I used in a pinch and it just kept right on going.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:38 PM
gchdavid

I just went through 3 MC-9's right now. The glow power recommendation for that plug is 24-28, the last two burnt out at 19 power...something is up. They don't burn up in free air during the glow test, they only burn up when a start happens.

I don't know if it matters but I do have a 24" multiplex extension between the engine and the ECU due to location.

Chris
Old 07-31-2010, 07:58 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Gonzalo38

Chris:

You can always buy one of the new ceramic plugs which will give you super smooth starts and you will forget about burnt glow plugs. I'm using one in my Turboprop and couldn't be happier......
+1 I have one in my rhino & one in my falcon. Could not be happier, and I will never look back. It will save you time and money in the long run!!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:12 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: gchdavid

I just went through 3 MC-9's right now. The glow power recommendation for that plug is 24-28, the last two burnt out at 19 power...something is up. They don't burn up in free air during the glow test, they only burn up when a start happens.

I don't know if it matters but I do have a 24'' multiplex extension between the engine and the ECU due to location.

Chris
I don't know what kind of turbine you have but I seem to recall that with some, the voltage setting is higher with a lower ECU value. I would at least double check and/or experiment.

Also, have you changed battery types? I had a similar problem a while back when I switched from nicads to Nimh. Same voltage but the lower resistance of the Nimh would blow the plug on the first start. Had to lower the voltage value.

Craig
Old 08-01-2010, 09:00 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Hmmm, actually; It sounds like you might have a short in the extension cable. Possible starter voltage may be hitting the glow feed and blowing the plug. Check the extension carefully for any run-away wire frays touch another terminal. What voltage battery are you using for ECU?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 AM
BluFox

Hello:

You said: "It starts once and then when you try again it times out without ignition, when you pull the plug out the element is melted and clumped."

These are two different issues. Time Out error message indicates the turbine failed to ignite due to lack of gas in the chamber. It times out after 3 attempts to start. You do not mention the age of your turbine. If manufactured after 2007, your ECU allows for adjustments in the "START" menu of the START-INFO-RADIO-RUN screen. Please check gas value. Gas value should be 25 to 35. You say element is burned and clumped. . .the error message will then be "Glow Bad or Glow plug disconnected"

Did you perform the glow plug test outside the turbine as I previously suggested? If not, please do so and note the glow of the wire. Too high a setting and you could damage the element. Also, when pulling out the glow plug element, MAKE SURE the nichrome wire element DOES NOT CROSS AND TOUCH .

Let me know.

Eric

Old 08-01-2010, 07:48 PM
gchdavid

^ All glow plugs where tested via the manual before using them. in one occasion, one of the glow plugs was so low on the power that it would barely glow during the test and it burnt out anyways when I attempted to start the engine.

Im thinking it might be the Plug extension that is crossing starter Voltage into the glow plug... I will check that before I move forward.

Thanks.

Chris
Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 AM
BluFox

Chris:

You said: ^ All glow plugs where tested via the manual before using them. in one occasion, one of the glow plugs was so low on the power that it would barely glow during the test and it burnt out anyways when I attempted to start the engine

What setting was the glow plug power when you did the above test. . .? Which plug was it at the time the above test was performed? When it "barely glowed," what setting did you raise it to prior to the start attempt?

Check connection at glow plug. Let's try moving the ground wire from plug to the mounting strap. Anyone will do.

Please provide the serial number of your turbine. This is located under the front mounting strap or depending on the ECU, it is the first screen which displays momentarily during power up.

You may call me @ 941 468 1426 or email me directly to: [email protected]

Regards,
Eric
Old 08-02-2010, 08:30 AM
gchdavid

Hello,

The test was with a MC-9 as recommended. The glow value was 18 and it would barely even light up during the free air test. The Glow setting was left the same, I put the glow plug back in its place and I attempted a start, it started the propane, I shut down and pulled the Glow plug out and it was melted away again. Obviously, as its burning out it lights the gas but why at such a low setting? during the test, it wasnt enough glow to light the gas so why did it burn out in the turbine?

I's starting to think that the Multiplex extension I installed might be crossing starter power into the glow plug, its the only explanation I have that could cause this.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Chris

p.s. I am at work, I will go get the serial number tonight.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 AM
drywaller

Chris, did you ever figure out why you were burning plugs? I have a super eagle that I can only get one start then the plug element melts. I tried everything you have. It didnt happen to be your reciever pack did it/ I am running a 6 volt Nimh 2000mah pack. Is it true that the internal resistance of a Nimh pack can cause the plugs to burn out?