Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Falcon Flame

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:15 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Falcon Flame

I had a little problem with my Falcon Today. On my 3rd flight Start up went fine, but when I started to give it throttle to Taxi out to the runway a huge flame shot out of the rear. I immediately Shut it down and we hit it with the blower. The Hand Unit said "Flame Out". I let it cool down and sit for about 5 min. Went to start up again and had the same problem except this time "Low Speed" was showing. I checked all wiring and fuel tubes, valves Etc.etc.
I took the burnt booms and tail off the boomer and went to the start up area to try again, This time it started up perfect with no problems, It did take a little longer to get from Fuel ramp to Run, but other then that everything else looked to be normal. I shut it down and let it sit for about 5 or 10 min.
Start up one more time after startup I went to give it throttle and another flame out the rear, shut it down and Low Speed was showing again. I did have a fresh battery so that can be rules out. The temps were Hot and Humid aroun 90-95* ( heat wave this week in the North) but it was humid as hell
Anybody have any advise? What do think it could be?
I will try and Call Eric on my way home from work tomorrow when I have more time to talk to him and see what he says.

Thanks Guys
Old 07-30-2011, 03:35 AM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Falcon Flame

Sounds like bearings are going bad or may have rotor damage. Have you inspected for FOD?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:19 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

PH,

I'm surprised Eric hasn't chimed in yet. There is nothing wrong with you engine per se. Most will do the same thing under certain conditions. My Wren Supersport did the same thing last Sunday when it was 95F and 90% humidity here. Last year at Michigan Jets conditions were similar and about half the guys there, and most brands, were having problems.

It's a function of air density and how quickly the air gets into the combustion chamber. So some engines are more susceptible depending on how efficient the compressor and combustion chamber are. On rapid accelerations fuel is being supplied faster than sufficient air can get into the combustion chamber. Due to incomplete combustion a lot of unburned fuel is coming out the exhaust and the flame migrates out the tailcone. Usually the engine will run fine at a steady rpm and if you advance the throttle slowly it will stay lit. If you have a dirty combustion chamber or clogged injector that can add to the problem. One temporary fix is to increase the ACCELERATION DELAY parameter so that the fuel is fed in more slowly; or just wait for a cooler, lower humidity day to fly.

At Michigan Jets I was able to run my Wren by increasing the ACCELERATION DELAY. My Falcon ran fine without any adjustment.

You'll probably have to unlock your ECU to access that parameter. Eric can tell you how to do that if he is willing.

Joe
Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys I have had no time to post the outcome. I had called Eric the day after I posted this an he explained air density to me.
I started the engine after I spoke to Eric with no problems what so ever.It was also running a lot cooler then it did when it flamed.

Joeflyer you hit the nail on the head.
The day it happened it was 96 degrees with super high humidity.