Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Rhino Flame out

Old 10-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rhino Flame out

I have had multiple flame outs with this motor in more than one aircraft. It always happens when I advance the throttle , usually from half throttle to full, but sometimes from idle to half . The ecu always says "rpm low" There is a white smoke trail when it quits. Except on the ground when I throttled up from idle and it quit. Sometimes I can see a faint white smoke trail in flight while the engine is running , usually at lower airspeeds and half throttle or lower. I know people are going to say air in the fuel line, but after the first flame out in this aircraft I filled the fuel tanks and disconected the line at the motor festo and put it in my fuel can . Then I held the UAT in my hand and I ran the pump test till the pump was running at maximun rpm. I shook the UAT and turned it in all orientations there was NO air in it or bubbles in the line running to the motor (fuel can) . This motor runs fine until you change power settings and then it sometimes makes farting sounds as it accelerates to the commanded rpm .

I crashed my first aircraft with this motor in it , a thrust vectoring eurosport , when it would not spool up past 1/3 throttle in the air , I had the stick at full but it would not go. It has always spooled up rather slowly. I sent it in for repair and the bearings were replaced, I am not sure what else was done. When I got it back , it spooled up slowly and made farting sounds as it accelerated . I talked to an Artes engineer and he said to decrease the accel delay a little at a time till it spooled up acceptably. I did this and I only adjusted the delay down a very small amount and it seemed to spool up reasonably well.

If anyone has any ideas I would be most interested.

This is the second airplane I have had this motor in and I have had lots of trouble. It ran good for a while then it started acting up again . I have had three other brands of turbines in different airplanes and I never had any flameouts that I did not cause (running out of fuel) with these. All fuel connections are safety wired and there is no air in the uat after landing.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:52 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Rhino Flame out

Bob,

Only 16 posts since 2002! I know.

Regarding your engine, it sounds a lot like a combustion chamber or a fuel sticks/ring problem. The fuel may not be properly atomized and it cannot handle the acceleration, and our high humidity and heat do not help the situation. Weren't you with me at LBJ when I experienced the same exact thing with my Booster? That one finally gave up!

It sounds internal and I doubt there is anything you can do personally; but I would just send it back to Eric/JC and have everything inside checked.

They should take of you.

George
Old 10-18-2011, 12:24 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Rhino Flame out

Bob:

Awaiting your turbine per our email discussion. While turbine is being inspected, tested and serviced, we do suggest you check and inspect your entire fuel system. Flame out with smoke trail is strong indicator of air in the fuel line or fuel exhaustion. Any turbine regardless of mfg. will present the same symptoms given air in the line(s) or fuel starvation.

Best regards,
Eric