Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Falcon Fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Falcon Fuel consumption

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has a chart showing the real fuel consumption of a JC Falcon. My Falcon is my first JC engine, and I noticed that the number given is an average fuel flow... and not a full throttle flow.

Anyway... I'm going to put it into a Aviation Designs StarJet... and I can only hold 70 oz of fuel. Also... because it's WAY more engine than that model needs... I will probably turn it down to 18 Lbs (or so)

thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Falcon Fuel consumption

The JC Falcon has particularly poor fuel consumption, much wose than advertised.I'd say average consumption is about 12 oz./min. and full throttle consumption is about 16 oz./min.I have one in my Skymaster Gripen and custom made a 4th tank to increase my total fuel capacity to 100 oz. Even with that my flight times are 6 minutes(which gives me 2 minutesreserve).

With it dialed down to 18# you'd probably not want to flymore than 6 minutes on 70 oz.I suggest that you limit your first few flights to 5 minutes, see how much fuel you have left, and then adjust your flight time accordingly.

RCJI did an engine test on the Falcon 5 or 6 years ago. Check the engine test summary in their latest edition.

Joe
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
k12rc

Tony I have two and team mates have two more 2 are in DV8R 126 oz fuel 6min with a couple go around one in a pod and boom with 132 oz 10 min at 1/2 to 3/4 thro one in shock jet 80oz fuel 1/4 to 1/2 thro 6+ min hope this helps wide open throttle they suck some fuel I think it uses as much as my super eagle
Old 10-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for the input guys.

The old Starjet was designed with the old JPX engine (about 9~10 Lbs thrust from what I can find) and it was known to break 200 MPH on that. So... even if I turn the power down to 1:1.... I'm sure the throttle stick won't be up very high normally.

I was wondering about the fuel consumption for a couple reasons.

1) Because of the small-ish amount of fuel I will carry. AND

2) When it was on the test stand... it drank most of a 32 oz tank just idling. (but I didn't measure the time)

I've never used a taxi tank... but I guess this will be the first model I will need to use one on.