Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

approved oils

Reply

Old 02-12-2015, 05:08 PM
  #1  
karl hibbs
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (6)
 
karl hibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: spanaway, WA
Posts: 328
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default approved oils

Is there a list of approved oils that can be used in a JC turbine, can kingtech oil be used?
karl hibbs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:30 AM
  #2  
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: North Port, FL
Posts: 1,107
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Karl:

Jet Central recommends using synthetic oil such as Amsoil Dominator at 2.5% or 1/2 quart to 5 gallons. Other acceptable oils are:

Mobil DTE lite - Must use one (1) quart to 5 gallons
BP2380 - use 1/2 quart to 5 gallons
Aero Shell 500 - use 1/2 quart to 5 gallons (not our favorite but acceptable)
Motol synthetic - 2.5% to 5 gallons

Any turbine oil or synthetic oil with a JASO FC rating.

Regards,
Eric
BluFox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:19 PM
  #3  
karl hibbs
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (6)
 
karl hibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: spanaway, WA
Posts: 328
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thanks Eric, can I use kingtech oil in a JC turbine.
karl hibbs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:03 AM
  #4  
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: North Port, FL
Posts: 1,107
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Karl:

JASO FC rated oils are OK. While possibly amusing, I was given a quart of Jet Cat oil which I used with no issues.

Regards,
Eric
BluFox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:33 PM
  #5  
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)
 
rcjets12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palm Bay , FL
Posts: 380
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thanks Eric for your response.
rcjets12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:34 PM
  #6  
jetmon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mexico CityD.F., MEXICO
Posts: 226
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Hello Karl
We haven't had the chance to test the kingtech or JetCat oils in our turbines, so at the moment, they are not approved
jetmon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 PM
  #7  
karl hibbs
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (6)
 
karl hibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: spanaway, WA
Posts: 328
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thanks Juan and Eric that is the definitive answer I needed .
karl hibbs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:45 AM
  #8  
luckymacy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: walllingford, PA
Posts: 492
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by BluFox View Post
Karl:

Jet Central recommends using synthetic oil such as Amsoil Dominator at 2.5% or 1/2 quart to 5 gallons. Other acceptable oils are:

Mobil DTE lite - Must use one (1) quart to 5 gallons
BP2380 - use 1/2 quart to 5 gallons
Aero Shell 500 - use 1/2 quart to 5 gallons (not our favorite but acceptable)
Motol synthetic - 2.5% to 5 gallons

Any turbine oil or synthetic oil with a JASO FC rating.

Regards,
Eric

any harm or benefits to mixing the BP2380 at 5% instead of using half the quart to get 2.5% in a 5 gallon container?

also, is this oil hygroscopic? In other words, if you only use half a quart at a time, what's a safe way to store it so it's still usable in a month?

Last edited by luckymacy; 07-19-2015 at 09:48 AM.
luckymacy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:01 AM
  #9  
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)
 
rcjets12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palm Bay , FL
Posts: 380
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by luckymacy View Post
any harm or benefits to mixing the BP2380 at 5% instead of using half the quart to get 2.5% in a 5 gallon container?

also, is this oil hygroscopic? In other words, if you only use half a quart at a time, what's a safe way to store it so it's still usable in a month?
Hello,

for or all the years that I have been using Jet Central I have always used a 5% mix. I always have used 32 ounces per 5 gallons of fuel. You will not harm the turbine by using 5%. The only approved oil that will give you issues is if you use the Amsoil because it could get you bearings gummed up. For Amsoil don't use more than 2% because of this reason. Especially on the smaller engines like the bee and the rabbit.
rcjets12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:31 PM
  #10  
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 2,367
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I've been wondering the same thing: what the heck am I going to do with leftover 1/2 of a quart of BP2380? Will it "keep", or will it get contaminated if I don't use the whole quart once it's opened?

So, using the whole quart in 5 gallons of kero - 5% mix - is ok in a Rabbit?
VF84sluggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:37 AM
  #11  
jetmon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mexico CityD.F., MEXICO
Posts: 226
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

5% is ok
jetmon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 PM
  #12  
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 2,367
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Great, thanks. I'd hate to see half a quart of oil go to waste, so good to know that using the whole quart of oil in 5 gallons of kero is ok.
VF84sluggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:30 PM
  #13  
luckymacy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: walllingford, PA
Posts: 492
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo View Post
Great, thanks. I'd hate to see half a quart of oil go to waste, so good to know that using the whole quart of oil in 5 gallons of kero is ok.
I got a second 5 gallon container and put a half quart in each one but only put 4 gallons of diesel in each container.
luckymacy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:16 PM
  #14  
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)
 
VF84sluggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 2,367
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

That's the other solution...just make up two 5-gal jugs.

But, frankly, I just don't feel like measuring out 16 oz of carcinogenic turbine oil in some type of container; then have to clean that container so there's no oil residue; then package it up somehow so it doesn't collect dust/dirt. I'd just rather dump a whole quart in the jug (while wearing disposable gloves) and add 5 gallons of kero. Yeah, I thought the glove thing was overkill, too...until I noticed that the mechanics at my airline all wear them when they handle BP2380 or Mobile Jet Oil II (the two types I've seen on the rack).

So, to each his own. But for me, based on Juan's post (#11), I'll just add a whole quart to the 5-gal jug and be done with it...like I've done when I had jets with those purple turbines.

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 08-05-2015 at 05:20 PM.
VF84sluggo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:54 PM
  #15  
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)
 
rcjets12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Palm Bay , FL
Posts: 380
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo View Post
That's the other solution...just make up two 5-gal jugs.

But, frankly, I just don't feel like measuring out 16 oz of carcinogenic turbine oil in some type of container; then have to clean that container so there's no oil residue; then package it up somehow so it doesn't collect dust/dirt. I'd just rather dump a whole quart in the jug (while wearing disposable gloves) and add 5 gallons of kero. Yeah, I thought the glove thing was overkill, too...until I noticed that the mechanics at my airline all wear them when they handle BP2380 or Mobile Jet Oil II (the two types I've seen on the rack).

So, to each his own. But for me, based on Juan's post (#11), I'll just add a whole quart to the 5-gal jug and be done with it...like I've done when I had jets with those purple turbines.
Hi Randy,

I agree with you I have always used 5% all the years I have been flying turbines with no issues. One quart per 5 gallons.
rcjets12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:26 AM
  #16  
pcskyhi
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 53
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Has there been any update regarding the use of Kingtech oil in Jet Central Turbines? If someone already owns a Kingtech turbine and already using diesel fuel with 5% Kingtech oil will they have to have a separate fuel supply for the Jet Central turbine?
pcskyhi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:52 AM
  #17  
GULDUKAT
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Statham GA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I have a JC Cheetah and a Kingtech K210. I run gas station Diesel with 5% kingtech for both the turbines. No issues.
GULDUKAT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:15 AM
  #18  
pcskyhi
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 53
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by GULDUKAT View Post
I have a JC Cheetah and a Kingtech K210. I run gas station Diesel with 5% kingtech for both the turbines. No issues.
Thanks for the reply. Are you doing the 5% mixing ratio?
pcskyhi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:26 AM
  #19  
GULDUKAT
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Statham GA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Yes.
GULDUKAT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:58 AM
  #20  
pcskyhi
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 53
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Last question. About how many hours on the Cheetah since you started using the Kingtech oil? I wish Jet Central would update there statement on using Kingtech oil since it has been a couple of years since the question was asked before.
pcskyhi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:15 AM
  #21  
GULDUKAT
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Statham GA
Posts: 84
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Not sure on the hours.
5% Kingtech with kerosene in winter about 20 flights
5% Kingtech with diesel in spring and summer at least 30 to 40 flights. We'll see how diesel performs this Winter. So far the performance with diesel is much better than with kerosene.
GULDUKAT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:35 PM
  #22  
pcskyhi
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 53
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I have to apologize to Jet Central because Juan Ramon Ruiz from Jet Central sent me an email on September 18, 2017. I just happened to check my spam folder looking for something else and saw his response. He stated that Jet Central still has not tested Kingtech oil with the Jet Central Turbines but does acknowledge that a lot of the clients are successfully using it and if you use it follow the percentage Kingtech recommends. Thanks guys. I hope to purchase a Rabbit in the near future for a project and I am also looking at a 70/80 size turbine for another project but the Bee is a bit much $$$ compared to other brands. I just wanted to find a common type of oil for different brand turbines.

Last edited by pcskyhi; 09-27-2017 at 01:38 PM.
pcskyhi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:40 AM
  #23  
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)
 
JohnBuckner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Kingman, AZ
Posts: 10,390
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by pcskyhi View Post
, . I just wanted to find a common type of oil for different brand turbines.
I have been running quite successfully a Kingtech 60, Ace 60, JC Super Bee and a JC Rabbit all on pump diesel with kingtech oil mixed at the kingtech recommendation of 5%.

John
JohnBuckner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:24 AM
  #24  
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)
 
rcjetsaok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I am also wondering about the Kingtech Oil in Jet Central engines.. ( Cheetah and Rhino's ) ... I sure would like to get Juan's blessing on it. Had a stray Kingtech 210 show up on the doorstep in and looks like were going to feed it.... Same situation as stated, don't wan't to have to haul 2 fuel supply's. Truth be known, I think Kingtech oil is nothing more than DTE Light with a few ounces of snake oil with a new label and a big price...

Dan
rcjetsaok is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:19 AM
  #25  
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)
 
Dr Honda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Latrobe, PA
Posts: 2,322
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok View Post
I am also wondering about the Kingtech Oil in Jet Central engines.. ( Cheetah and Rhino's ) ... I sure would like to get Juan's blessing on it. Had a stray Kingtech 210 show up on the doorstep in and looks like were going to feed it.... Same situation as stated, don't wan't to have to haul 2 fuel supply's. Truth be known, I think Kingtech oil is nothing more than DTE Light with a few ounces of snake oil with a new label and a big price...

Dan
It's Telis 32 with some snake oil. (LOL) That's Shell's version of DTE. It would be nice if they would just sell us the "Synthetic additive" so we can mix our own.
Dr Honda is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service