Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Mammoth Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 11:31 AM
gapellegrini

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mammoth Compressor

Hi Guys,

This is my Mammoth. Do you guys think I should replace the compressor? Or is it okay?

I had a crash with not much impact and need to change some parts on the turbine like cover, starter case. What's your oppinion on compressor?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5404.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	2126714  
Old 10-21-2015, 02:27 PM
jetmon

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Gabriel
It does not look that bad from the picture but it is hard to tell, I don't see a dent that can cause a fracture or vibration but again, hard to tell from the picture
Ask Michel (Brazilian service center) what he thinks
Regards
Old 10-21-2015, 02:46 PM
gapellegrini

Juan,

the turbine is with Michel. He told me replace this part is not mandatory but if was his turbine he would change. I will aks for more pictures and post here.

Thanks for your help

Gabriel
Old 10-22-2015, 08:44 AM
gapellegrini

Here is another picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5409.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	2126929  
Old 10-22-2015, 08:48 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Have seen much worse working well for years on other higher-revving engines Gabriel, but as the engine is already with Michel, I think is better to change it.

Um abraço, Enrique
Old 10-24-2015, 07:03 AM
gapellegrini

Originally Posted by erbroens
Have seen much worse working well for years on other higher-revving engines Gabriel, but as the engine is already with Michel, I think is better to change it.

Um abraço, Enrique
I flew worse for a very long time as well.

Juan any oppinion?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:11 AM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gapellegrini
I flew worse for a very long time as well.

Juan any oppinion?
Hello,

it it does not look that bad but the only thing I would be worried about is how much of those small chips got inside the turbine. How do the bearings sound. The best thing to do is change it and have the bearings checked however it's up to you and if the turbine runs good and you don't hear any noise from the bearings as well as any vibrations only you can decide as we can't tell you to keep running an engine that has some minor chips to the compressor.

If if you have any further questions please feel free to give me a call.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:39 PM
gapellegrini

Originally Posted by rcjets12
Hello,

it it does not look that bad but the only thing I would be worried about is how much of those small chips got inside the turbine. How do the bearings sound. The best thing to do is change it and have the bearings checked however it's up to you and if the turbine runs good and you don't hear any noise from the bearings as well as any vibrations only you can decide as we can't tell you to keep running an engine that has some minor chips to the compressor.

If if you have any further questions please feel free to give me a call.
Jose,

The turbine is with Jet Central Brazil. Its open and the bearings will be changed. I know the best is to change the compressor but this is a project that crashed on maiden. I got a new plane and I'm trying to save as much as I can on this overbudget project.

So Jet Central Brazil gave me the option to not replace compressor if it can be balanced. They told me could be some risks but can be done. I posted here to get some opinions on the risk so I can make a decision. So do you think Im good to use this part replacing bearing and balancing compressor?

Thanks for your help
Old 10-28-2015, 10:52 AM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gapellegrini
Jose,

The turbine is with Jet Central Brazil. Its open and the bearings will be changed. I know the best is to change the compressor but this is a project that crashed on maiden. I got a new plane and I'm trying to save as much as I can on this overbudget project.

So Jet Central Brazil gave me the option to not replace compressor if it can be balanced. They told me could be some risks but can be done. I posted here to get some opinions on the risk so I can make a decision. So do you think Im good to use this part replacing bearing and balancing compressor?

Thanks for your help
as always with something like this there is a risk. However if they do balance and really check that compressor really you should be ok. The biggest thing is making sure nothing went inside the turbine and making sure no vibration was there. what I recommend is anytime you start the turbine is that you check for vibration and quickly run up to full throttle at least for the first few times after you get it back. I'm very old school so I always check to make sure I'm getting full throttle before takeoff anyways.