Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Cheetah un-commanded shutdown?

Old 07-23-2016, 11:46 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cheetah un-commanded shutdown?

Hello,

I have had two un-commanded shut downs in flight. The first one gave me a "SPEEDLOW" message as the reason for the shutdown. The only thing I could think of was an airbuble in the fuel system.

The second one which was just recently and resulted in the loss of the airframe is still unknown for sure. I am pretty sure the message given was "FAILSAFE". However I don't have a Failsafe programmed in my receiver so I am not sure why that message appeared.

I was running a Jeti REX 12 receiver with the Xicoy flight computer. However for some reason the last flight was not recorded properly and I am not able to open the file to check the flight data. I have since mounted it on a test stand and everything seems to be working properly.

I am concerned that there could be a problem with the ECU or the turbine itself. Should I send it in for service?

Louis
Old 07-25-2016, 03:21 PM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by DHC6 View Post
Hello,

I have had two un-commanded shut downs in flight. The first one gave me a "SPEEDLOW" message as the reason for the shutdown. The only thing I could think of was an airbuble in the fuel system.

The second one which was just recently and resulted in the loss of the airframe is still unknown for sure. I am pretty sure the message given was "FAILSAFE". However I don't have a Failsafe programmed in my receiver so I am not sure why that message appeared.

I was running a Jeti REX 12 receiver with the Xicoy flight computer. However for some reason the last flight was not recorded properly and I am not able to open the file to check the flight data. I have since mounted it on a test stand and everything seems to be working properly.

I am concerned that there could be a problem with the ECU or the turbine itself. Should I send it in for service?

Louis
Hello,

First I'm sorry you lost your jet. From the info you have given the first flameout of speed low can be many different things but if you had the white smoke then it's unusually a sign of an air bubble. As for the second flame out with the fail safe error it's only a couple of things for sure. even though you may not have a fail safe setup on your radio the turbines have their own fail safe. For the fail safe to come out can be an issue with the extension from your RX to the turbine or an issues with you losing a signal from your RX to the turbine. As for the turbine if it's ok after the crash it's always a good idea to get everything checked out. Lastly I have seen with Jeti as I also use one that when setting up your radio to turbine I have had to lower the max travel to 100 to -100 if I don't do this I have seen it go to fail safe.

please call me with any additional questions at 321-412-3078

thanks
Jose
Old 07-29-2016, 01:27 PM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jose,

I have been meaning to give you a call, but work has had other ideas for me.... Lol.

Between you and Doug Boyle I think we have covered all possible reasons for the shut down. I am confident that we have found the problem and I have taken all measures to correct any possible future issues.

My jeti was as you mentioned, max travels were still above 100% and end points were set to %100. So now both are set to %100 and I also made some other changes that Doug suggested.

The crash was not a catastrophic crash and I have since run the turbine on a test bench and everything is normal. There was no debris in the intake track and the fuel tanks were all still intact after the crash. Main compressor blades have no signs of damage or even any ware on the leading edge of the blades. My main concern was electronics, and I'm pretty darn sure it was something in the set up.

So I will install the turbine in my new airframe and give it a good shake down run before I fly it again. Thanks again Jose.

Louis