Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Cheetah starter motor problems.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:37 PM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cheetah starter motor problems.

Hello,

Looks like my starter is beginning to give me some issues. It's almost like there is a "bad spot" on the starter com and sometimes it won't start spinning. If I use the "test starter" function sometimes it doestn't work and sometimes it works. If I give the turbine a little spin and then hit the test that seems to help it get going and then it might work. Today it seemed much worse then in past days, I even got a little puff of smoke from the starter motor. I was hopping that it would last the summer, but I am pretty sure next time out will be the final death of the starter motor. On start up sometimes I get "starter fail" message and the start sequence is aborted. Then if I go back and test the starter (which sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't) then try to start it, it works.

I was wondering if this is still under warrantee and I have seen in the past that some guys didn't have to send the turbine in for a starter change. Please let me know what info you need for me to confirm the problem and to tell me if it's still covered under warrantee. Thanks.

Louis Simon
simon_louis@hotmail.com

Last edited by DHC6; 07-12-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sir:

just to be sure your problem is not worse than just the starter, check turbine rotor rotates freely, I had excatly the same symptoms on a turbine of mine, turns out the NGV was misaligned and the turbine wheel was rubbing on it on a specific spot, whenever the rotor stopped turning from the last run/cool down, it would stop on this same position, on the next start the starter would not be able to turn it, yet if I moved the rotor slightly, it would run perfectly until the next start. If your turbine is rubbing the NGV you need to send your engine in to be fixed.

hope this helps
Old 07-13-2017, 06:39 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the suggestions, but there is no rubbing at all. Turbine spins smoothly and bearings are quiet and smooth. You can clearly see the the starter motor "stuttering". So hopefully it's just the starter and nothing else. Seems to run very good once it starts.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:18 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine does exactly the same thing. Trying to nurse it through the rest of the flying season.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:41 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you have the Lifetime warranty on the Turbine the starter is covered. I would call Jose and explain to him what is going on, he might send you a starter and replace it yourself... Keyword is MIGHT... He wil probley want to check it out and verify what's going on. Plan B would be just buy a starter and then send him the old one and see if he would cover it after testing it in his shop... A extra starter is not a bad idea to have in you box anyway...

Good luck,

Dan