Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Rhino RPM & flameout issues!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:14 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino RPM & flameout issues!!

I have 3 seperate issues with 2 different Rhinos!!

The Rhino in my Kingcat has been flawless in every way for over 45 flights! I couldnt have asked for a better performing motor ,BUT the last time my Kingcat flew I noticed that on a level high speed run that my Kingcat just wasnt moving nearly as fast as it always does!!

So upon landing we checked the situation out on the ground display unit and were quick to access the reason for the MUCH slower speed in flight,the RPM's were peaking out at only 114,300.I always got the full 117,000 every time in the past.We were at full throttle when we checked the RPM's,we left it there for a good minute & a half to make sure the RPM's leveled out .The RPM setting value has never been decreased on my Rhino.I always left it at full peak(117,000 )cause all out speed is my obsession.What could my problem be with the sudden RPM loss???Also on the last 4 flights prior to this major RPM loss my Kingcat flamed out 3 times in flight-every time ONLY when attempting or entering into a high G manuever!! What could the issue be here?Could these 2 problems be connected ??I wanted some helpful/good input from other happy Rhino users before going & sending the engine back.I thought maybe another Rhino user has been down the same road too.I am hoping that I have some issues that can be fixed here without having to send it back to Artes.I already have one Artes Engine out for repair for new bearings-my Super Eagle[]

Now my buddies Rhino is having a RPM issue as well ,but in addition another issue totally different from mine .His Rhino in his Lightning is flamming out at at idle or low throttle settings only.He flammed out 2 times recently in flight when in the landing approach.He also however is having a RPM loss issue too,BUT he is only losing 1100 RPM's whereis I am losing 2700!!!

We suspected that maybe my rhino is having a fuel draw issue??He thought maybe a dirty or clogged sock in my UAT?But my Kingcat only has 52 flights to date-I guess the UAT sock could still at fault tho.We already ruled out the fuel pump cause we installed his brand new one in my Kingcat with no change for the better on RPM's!!We need some help please!So we can then get on the road to being VERY happy Rhino owners again

thanks,Steve
Old 07-11-2006, 07:10 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Default RE: Rhino RPM & flameout issues!!

Steve,

The flameout "only entering a hi G manuever" would tend to indicate an air bubble. Are your fuel lines attached or supported in the fuse in any way or are they free floating? It sounds like as you pull into the manuever some connection is perhaps sucking air into the line and hence the flameout. Check that all your fuel connections are good and tight. I had the exact same thing happen! Turned out to be a loose festo fitting was sucking air whenever I loaded G's onto the connection.

As for the rpm loss, first try recalibrating your transmiter to the ECU. Are you using any expo or throttle adjustments in your transmitter programming? If so, clear those out and then reteach the ECU and try again to see if this fixes the problem. Your flameouts at hi G and idle speeds could very well be related to the programming in the transmitter, as well. The full throttle end point and idle settings in the ECU are quite precise. If you have made adjustments in the throw or throttle points in your transmitter you could be accidentally giving the ECU the shutoff command when the stick is at the stop, top or bottom. Do'nt ask me how I know that one.

I've got three Rhino's and two Eagles, and I've probably made most of the user mistakes one can make with these turbines, and they still run great!

Also are you using a fuel filter in the line? If so make sure its clear.

Hope this helps!

David S
Old 07-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Thanks so much David,great info my friend!! I did already check the fuel filter & ruled that out also in addition to the fuel pump.The filter was totally clear.I did blow it out with the air compressor just for better peace of mind.We were sitting down over the weekend deep in thought into possible causes of the issues and my buddy did say to me hmmm wonder if one of the fuel lines or festos,etc is creating the issue at high speed and/or G forces.Short of actually spotting a air bubbles in the lines or UAT how else can you find them?or are they ALWAYS visible to one's eye in the lines or UAT?We did check all the fuel connections already too.Are you using the factory supplied fuel line running back to the turbine?

This weekend my buddy and I are gonna bypass the UAT & fuel system inside my Kingcat all together and run the engine up directly fueled by the overflow tank.This will let us know if there is a fuel draw problem within the Kingcat.We will also check out all the fuel lines,festos,etc and tie them down more securely additionally.Another possible culprit we suspected was maybe some water or dirt in the Kero?We get our kero from a local BP here -it is dyed kero,and have reason to believe also that their tank has not been cleaned out in awhile?thoughts on this?Again thanks alot David

regards,Steve
Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 PM
FNIETO

Hello Steve,
Before changing anything on your installation, please run the engine to full throttle with the hand data terminal connected, wait a few seconds until it is steady at whatever max RPMs it gets and make a note on the reading of pw value (fuel pump power). PM me with this value and I would be able to help you pin point your problem.
Best regards
Felipe
www.jetcentral.com.mx
Old 09-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

What was the solution to this?

I'm about to install a Rhino into an Eurosport. Looking for some learnings..
Thanks,
Edgar
Old 09-05-2006, 06:58 PM
FNIETO

Hello Edgar
For what I remember there was a problem on one of the festo lines of the installation. That been fixed, I have not heard of any more issues on that engine.

How is the Bee doing ?

If you have any mor questions please do not hesitate to contatc me.
Best regards
Felipe
www.jetcentral.com.mx
Old 09-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Felipe. Always great to hear good things about the JetCentral/Artes line.

The bee is fine, but on hold pending completion of my Eurosport project.
Take Care,
Edgar