Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Super Bee Turning Red Hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:24 PM
samo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Bee Turning Red Hot

I ran my Super Bee for the first time in a Yellow F-16. It ran great for the first 60 seconds, and then after a while it turned red hot! Even at idle the temp was fine, I think it was at 470C, and at full throttle it was at 370C. It also blew out a large blue flame that almost engulfed the tail pipe. We had to shut it down immediatley. The next time it ramped up it turned red hot and did the same thing when it ramped to 55,000 rpm. Is this an airflow problem with the pipe, or an engine problem?

Appreciate any help

Steve
Old 05-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Super Bee Turning Red Hot

370c for full throttle is too low. Looks like a temp probe issue...
Old 05-03-2008, 10:27 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Samo, make sure you have the pipe at 3/4" from the rear of the exhaust cone. I did notice my super bee run a bit cooler when I put it in my F-16. It will shoot out a large blue flame, but should go away at idle. I do notice it when it accelerates up to high end, but seems to disappear at high. If you are looking at this in the evening or at night, your tail cone will glow red. Mine does, but only notice it at night.

Hope this helps.

I think Eric is out with Family buisness (First time in a long time) and I think he will be back Sunday night so you might call him on Monday.

Larry
Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Steve:

Larry is correct. Please be sure the position of the turbine is NO LESS than 1/2 " from the entrance to the pipe with 3/4 being ideal. This is necessary to create the correct pressure area of air flow around the pipe. Entrance is defined as the beginning of the metal part of the pipe. . .not a bypass or any similar set up. Also, make sure the nozzle is CENTERED to the PIPE. This is also necessary to insure total success with your operation of this turbine or any turbine.

Temp at max RPM should be in the 550 to 580 range depending on outside air temperature.

If you are seeing a glow or as you say "red hot" visual of the nozzle, my guess is that you are running the turbine at dusk or perhaps in the dark. . .this is NORMAL you just do not see it during the day.

Please call me so we can discuss the "it blew out a large blue flame." Again, if running at dusk or night, at start up this is a normal course of events. This happens when the turbine is ramping to idle. This is a sign of all injectors coming on line and burning evenly. This is normal during this transition.

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
Jet Central Micro Turbines
Built with Quality. . .Backed with Confidence
Lifetime Warranty
Old 05-06-2008, 10:51 PM
samo

Thanks everyone,

I re-aligned the turbine/pipe. The nozzle is 20mm from the pipe which is a hair further than what has been suggested. Seems to work much better though.
Eric, I appreciate your help on the phone. Your service is superb. Thanks for being so available, polite and willing to help.

Steve Morris
Old 05-11-2008, 07:22 PM
samo

Eric,

Thanks for taking my call yesterday. As you instructed, I increased the Acceleration Delay from 075 to 077, better but still getting choked by blue flames. Took it up to 079, same thing, I now have it to 081 and it's better but when stick is advanced from 55k to 90k RPM it gets overwhelmed by blue flame and can't recover. I'm afraid if we fly it, it will burn up the jet.
I checked and stability delay is set at 080. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not?
I'm afraid I'm going to need some more help with this.
Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 AM
BluFox

Steve:

Before we make any other adjustments, please check both batteries in the Jet. Rx battery if Nicad or Nmh must be 5 cell 6v for proper operation of the system. If using Duralite or similar, please check that your regulator is 6v (5.9v) as a minimum.

ECU pack must be fully charged. If 6 Cell Nicad or Nmh, please cycle and check for full charge. If using LiIon we supplied, again please verify it is taking a full charge. Let me know. I will be in the office most of the day Monday and Tuesday thru 3PM. Then I leave for Mexico the 14th thru the 24th.

Also, I have read your post again. The temp you are seeing at full throttle (370) is too low. If this is correct, please check the thermocouple insertion in the nozzle. It should be a maximum of 1/16 inch or 2mm. If it is not, carfully press in further.
Please call me today if you get a chance to do so. Tomorrow is OK as well.

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
Jet Central Micro Turbines
Lifetime Warranty
Old 05-22-2008, 10:00 PM
samo

Hi Eric,

we got the acceleration delay dialed in pretty good. We went to the field to maiden, started it and it kept shuting down when I took out the HDT cable after it was running. So we started it without the HDT and taxied to the end of the runway for take off and ...PHew......it flamed out. It kept saying RC SIGNAL LOST. I know the radio signal is solid, there's not a problem there. I changed the throttle extension wire incase there is a short or something. I haven't tried it again until I hear from you. It's too uncertain to try and fly. Could there be a short in the ECU or something?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 AM
BluFox

Steve:

Please email me or PM me with a phone number I can call to reach you all day Friday. Your issue sounds like an installation issue somewhere. I want to discuss the install so we can resolve this issue. Rx signal lost is just that. We need to look at the battery all the way back to the Rx.
Look forwardto hearing from you.

Best regards from Mexico,
Eric