Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Filling an on board gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:44 PM
DamBo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling an on board gas tank

I seem to be having difficulty filling an onboard gas fuel tank.

I am filling the tank with a coleman propane canister.

Having the coleman tank upside down going into the gas tank I can never get enough fuel in the tank for start up.

It seems to equalize pressure but I do not enough fuel for starting.

Am I missing something cause this should not be this difficult[]
Old 12-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Filling an on board gas tank

I don't think the onboard gas tank works well with propane.

Just connect the propane directly to the solenoid and restrictor setup.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:51 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Look at post #26 of the following thread for a filling regulator and you may consider ditching the on board tank

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63...mpage_2/tm.htm

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
Old 12-25-2008, 09:02 AM
DamBo

I have one of these.

It will start up normally with the propane tank hooked directly to the gas valve.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89437.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1096281  
Old 12-26-2008, 09:12 AM
DamBo

I see that eliminating the onboard tank will solve the need to fill it (?)
Then why is it supplied with the turbine?

Adding a guage to a propane tank does not change anything other than being able to see the pressure in the tank.
Which is regulated between the gas valve cycling and the restrictor.

It seems to me that the fill system for the onboard tank needs a vent to release the gas while the liquid falls to the bottom of the tank and fills.

Like filling a butane lighter, upside down.

But the supplied setup does not release any pressure so when both tanks equalize flow stops and you have very little fuel in the tank.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:41 AM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: SavAxiInf

I see that eliminating the onboard tank will solve the need to fill it (?)
Then why is it supplied with the turbine?
= = = = = = = =
Many years ago, your options were 1) Air start with propane...or,... 2) air start with propane....
JetCat came along with full autostart, and everyone since has used PowerMax and a small on-board tank a "standard". Many like to start without their ground unit plugged in, and some fire things up with all the hatches in place and walking it out to the runway as it starts.
Many of the things you buy daily, are supplied with parts/fittings you don't use. This is one that many of us elect NOT to use... Simplicity is good!

Greg

Old 12-26-2008, 12:56 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

SavAxilInf:

On board gas tank is supplied as well as the support product needed to complete installation. We use the tank in all installations.

Some things worthy to note:

1. Holding the Coleman Propane tank inverted discharges mostly liquid - NOT GOOD. Our procedure is to start with an empty on board tank (purge at days end) attach the supply canister, invert and open the control valve then turn upright to continue filling. This allows for some liquid to be installed. We use clear FESTO 4mm line so we can see the gas flowing. Full tank with all settings correct usually allows for several starts before refilling. HDT will give an error message if turbine does not start. Error messages are defined in our manual.

2. For those NOT using the onboard tank, the "one way FESTO" valve is attached to the appropriate length 4mm FESTO tubing which is attached to the gas solenoid valve. Procedure is the same as above. If using one of the several multi position valves available, you must test to see which position allows for the best start or fill of the white on board can. We do not use the multi-position valve. We use the standard type dial valve found on most propane torches for sale at local hardware outlets.

3. PowerMax by Coleman is entirely a different mixture. . .can is to be held upright at all times. Its internal tube for extraction goes almost to the bottom of the can.

Remember, always discharge on board gas system at the end of the days flying. Always double check to make sure all gas (as well as fuel) connections are installed correctly and sealed.

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
Old 12-28-2008, 09:09 PM
DamBo

Thanks for the explaination Eric.

I have not yet been able to get anymore than one spin up of the starter motor before the fuel in the canister is gone.
I have noticed that the start sequence appears to be four starter motor cycles, before you have to reset.
How many cycles should it take as an average to jet the turbine to run on kero?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

The vast majority of the time should ignite in the 1st cycle.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:45 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Hello:

If you are using the on board tank and are out of propane or PowerMax during the first spin, you must look at the fill valve/regulator on your fill source. This many times is the sourcs of problem.

If you are not using the on board tank, then you either have:

1. very low or poor quality propane from the fill source
2. the fill valve or regulator is not allowing enough gas (pressure) to get to the regulator then to the turbine
3. the filter/restrictor as supplied by Jet Central is either installed wrong, clogged or missing
4. gas value (under start up menue) is set too low. Try a value of 25 then increase 10 pts at a time until reaching 50
5. glow plug element is not extended far enough or glow plug is near failing (look for a break in the glow circuit (nichrome wire) during test
6. ECU battery is low or falling very close or below 6v during start cycle. . .please check V on second screen during start up cycle.

The above also apply to those using the on board tank.

When set up properly, propane will ignite during first spin of the starter motor.

Regards,
Eric Clapp
Jet Central Turbines
Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 AM
DamBo

Thanks Eric

I have a value of 30 on the gas valve. I will increase it until the desired results are achieved.

I will also try a different valve to get the on board tank to fill.