Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Super Eagle fuel use vs. rabbit question

Hi, I have a few questions that I wish those with the Super Eagle would chime in here and answer...you to Eric! lol

I am flying a TBM DV8R (dry weight is 25.5 lbs, take off is around 31 lbs). I have a Jet Central Rabbit on it right now with 101 oz. main tank. I can fly for a good 6 minutes and then I land (still have about 1/4 full in the main tank). However, with the weight of the dv8r and the size of it (draggy airframe) most of my flight is from 3/4 to Full. Top speed in level flight is about 135 mph, out of a dive it's a tad north of 160 (this is clocked on radar and also gps).

My Questions are:

1. With having to fly most of the flight at 3/4 to full, if I went to a super eagle I assume that most of my flight for the same performance I have now would be around 1/2 to 3/4, thrust wise this would be similar to my rabbit right?

2. With avg. flight of 1/2 to 3/4 on the super eagle would I not end up using roughly the same amount of fuel (yeah, I know I would be pushing the stick further and burning more fuel!)?

3. With 101 oz on board, I would think I could get a 5 minute flight and land and maybe have just a tad in the main tank right?

4. Those of you that have the super eagle, what is the spool up time from idle to full? My rabbit is just shy or right at 3 seconds. I am just wondering if the Super Eagle is similar.

5. About what should I expect in level flight speed with another 11lbs. of thrust from the super eagle vs. the rabbit. Right now, level flight speed is about 135. I figure maybe around 150 or so level?

Thanks
    Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Super Eagle fuel use vs. rabbit question

1. With having to fly most of the flight at 3/4 to full, if I went to a super eagle I assume that most of my flight for the same performance I have now would be around 1/2 to 3/4, thrust wise this would be similar to my rabbit right?
    More or less, yea
    2. With avg. flight of 1/2 to 3/4 on the super eagle would I not end up using roughly the same amount of fuel (yeah, I know I would be pushing the stick further and burning more fuel!)?
    You bet you will burn more fuel
    3. With 101 oz on board, I would think I could get a 5 minute flight and land and maybe have just a tad in the main tank right?
    About right
    4. Those of you that have the super eagle, what is the spool up time from idle to full? My rabbit is just shy or right at 3 seconds. I am just wondering if the Super Eagle is similar.
    Eagle is also in the 3-4 seconds, maybe a little faster
    5. About what should I expect in level flight speed with another 11lbs. of thrust from the super eagle vs. the rabbit. Right now, level flight speed is about 135. I figure maybe around 150 or so level?
    Not so sure, I fly my Shock with a bee along with a mate with a shock with an Eagle and he’s top speed doesn’t look that is more than 20 miles that mine but there are a lot of differences in the airplanes performance
    With an Eagle is faster, take of shorter and climes like hell but with the bee is more agile, uses less fuel and lands soooo slow
    I prefer the shock with a bee but that is only my taste
    Regards
    Juan
    Jet Central Service Manager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so the eagle running around 1/2 to 3/4 stick will burn about the same fuel as a Rabbit at full stick?

Juan, thanks for your response.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Rabbit is a little more fuel eficient so you will get a better millage from the rabbit than the eagle at same thrust levels

Juan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well it isn't exactly the same as you DV8R but I have flown my boomerang xl with both the super eagle and the rabbit. To me the spool up time on the rabbit seems 25% faster than the eagle but that really didn't buy me much on the Boomerang becuase i needed longer to build up momentum with the Rabbit compaired to eagle. As to speed, there is was no doubt the the super eagle flew the boomerang a lot faster, maybe 30 mph faster but the real trick was the time it took to build up the speed with the smaller turbine vs the bigger 30 lb thrust of the Super Eagle.

On fuel use, I have a 127 oz tank in the boomerang and was flying 9 min on the timer before landing with the Super Eagle in mostly 1/2 to 3/4 throttle with some full on passes and usually had about 20% left. With the Rabbit I need more 3/4 to full throttle to fly the plane and it seemed to me that I was not using that much less fuel, usually landing with 20-30% left.

On the Boomerang at least there is no doubt the Super Eagle was a much better match even at a couple of pounds more weight than the Rabbit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a thought but I always figured if Ihad an app for the super eagle Iwould get a Rhino based on size of can, weight etc. so later down the road if Iwanted the max blow for that size motor Iwould have it. JMO.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You make a good point about the Rhino.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Larry:

You present questions which for the most part come to me quite frequently.

When comparing Rabbit to Super Eagle, there are many differences. Your concern seems to be focused on thrust/fuel ratio's . Let me share my thoughts. . .

I used to fly a CARF Flash. The Flash was built with our Falcon installed, both tanks and the UAT. This combination was truly awesome. With my style of flying, I was good for 6.5 to 7 minutes maximum and then land. Falcon delivers 23lb of thrust at 128,000 RPM.
    Later, I installed a Super Eagle not for any particular reason other than I sold the Falcon. . .Knowing the Super EAgle was too much thrust for my flying, I checked the Thrust /RPM chart in the manual. This showed I could get the same thrust as the Falcon at 4000 less RPM. Performance was superb. . .however I could now fly almost 11 minutes and land on the same fuel load. Currently the turbine of choice for the CARF Flash is our Rabbit. . .1.5 lb lighter and uses less fuel.

The DV8R was designed around the P-70 / 80 so the Rabbit is a natural choice for this airframe. . .however, flying styles are vastly different from pilot to pilot. Super Eagle in the DV8R with Max RPM set at 128,000 gives 30lb thrust. . .it is up to you to decide if this is too much or you are happy with the combination. Again, flying styles equal different set up preferences.

Yes, if you compare the daily operation of Rabbit Vs. Super Eagle, the Super Eagle will consume more fuel. With the fuel tank you have in the DV8R, I suggest filling, flying for 5 minutes and landing to check the remaining fuel. . .that is of course if you install the Super Eagle. A Super Eagle set at the RPM we suggest to deliver 19lb of thrust will use less fuel than the Rabbit. But, that is not what you are asking in this post. . .

Hopes this helps ! Call or email if you need further information.

Sincerely,
    Eric
    Managing Director
    Jet Central Turbines
    www.jetcentral.com.mx
    www.jetcentralusa.com
    jetartessales@aol.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Eric, the rabbit flys the dv8r nice. However like I said most of my flight is at least 3/4 to full throttle. If I could get the same performance with say the eagle at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle with similar fuel usage that would be great. Right now, dry my dv8r weighs 25.5-26 lbs. Take off weight is more like 31 lbs. It would be nice to have a little more thrust avaliabe. Not for top speed, but more for the push in up lines, stuff like that.

So if the weight is the same as the Rhino, would I not be better off getting the Rhino and then dialing that back down to say 30lbs like the eagle? This would give me a turbine that in the future would fly a larger assortment of airframes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have had the Eagle on my DV8R and it has been GREAT!!!!! I am now getting ready to install a Rhino. I will be turning it down to 28 pounds. I did notice that I need some more nose weight. Bot I just moved a battery forward.
    Smart-Fly
    Team Hitec
    Precision Aerobatics Team
    P-40 Brotherhood #86
    Bud Nosen Cessna 310 Club #69

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

noahb:

Referring to my previous answer, removing the Falcon from my Flash and installing the Super Eagle was no issue. I reduced the MAX RPM on the Super Eagle from 128,000 to 124,000. Fuel consumption went way down. I was able to fly 10 minutes+ on the two stock tanks in the Flash. Rhino too when flying at a reduced max RPM setting will also use less fuel. Just depends on your objectives and opting for the correct turbine. Please feel free to call me to discuss further. As you know, I love to talk !

Cheers,
    Eric
    Managing Director
    Jet Central Turbines
    www.jetcentral.com.mx
    www.jetcentralusa.com
    jetartessales@aol.com