Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet
Reload this Page >

Super Bee hesitation when going from idle to full throttle.

Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Super Bee hesitation when going from idle to full throttle.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 AM
gchdavid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Bee hesitation when going from idle to full throttle.

Hello,

I got my Super Bee started. The first time the pump start value was at Auto+2 so it flamed a bit out the rear and I shut it down.

For some reason it had been set to this by the previous owner. Per the manual I moved this value down to Auto 1+ and immediately had a successful start without flames .

The only concern I have after several starts and shutdowns is that the throttle response was not what I expected. I am close to sea level and the previous owner was too so I know its not that.

It appears as though when I go from idle to full throttle it accelerates quickly for about 30krpm (you can hear it and a very slight flame is visible if its dark out) then it hesitates for a bit and then it accelerates fast again until it reaches the desired rpm.

It appears as though the ramp values are ok because when it is accelerating it does so quickly and as expected. But that hesitation between 80-100k could be the difference between a successful go around or a crash.

The turbine is on a test bench, I am running clean filtered Kerosene and the recommended lubrication. Would too small or too long of a fuel line cause this condition? I am asking because I think my tubing to and from the test fuel tank is about 12-14" long Tygon so it might be causing an issue. I am hard pressed to doubt that this is the problem since it can reach max rpm and stabilize without issues once it gets over this hiccup.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Chris
Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Super Bee hesitation when going from idle to full throttle.

Chris:

To assist you 100%, I will need the V # of your ECU and the serial number of the Super Bee.
Additional information needed is:

Pw reading at idle, 1/2 and full throttle
Temp reading at idle, 1/2 and full throttle.
Battery being used for the ECU

Is your fuel filtered within the system?

Do you have 6mm fuel tubing going from the UAT to the pump and 4mm fuel tubing going from pump to solenoid to filter to turbine?

You mention "previous owner." How much total time is on this Super Bee

Please email me the answers to the above. Email to [email protected]

Best regards,
Eric
Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 AM
gchdavid

Default RE: Super Bee hesitation when going from idle to full throttle.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The ECU states it has just under 6hrs. I do know the turbine went in for the 25hr maintenance so this time is since it came back.

I will get it running today and gather the data you requested. Yes, both fuels are filtered with the proper filters.

Yes on the 4mm from fuel pump to engine and no on the 6mm from gas tank to the fuel pump. I think its 4mm as well. Is this a problem? Maybe this is the issue.

Let me know if this could be it, sometimes it takes a while to draw fuel from the tank when the pump ramps up during starting, once it is primed it operates fine.

Chris