Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Eagle Start Issuee

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Vettdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle Start Issuee

I have an Eagle that occasionally (1 in 3 starts) cuts the gas just before the fuel pump kicks in.
Other than that it's flawless.

Problem is, if I dont watch for the fuel ramp then I wouldn't know it and it would pump raw fuel into the turbine.

Any ideas ?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Eagle Start Issuee

Few questions:
1. How long is it taking before it reaches fuel ramp?
2. Are you using propane or a mix?
3. How many times does it cycle on start-up before it takes off?

I know on my Rhino, I had a few issues at start up. I am use to opening my propane up just a bit and it would start my rabbit fine. However, I had to open up my propane valve a few turns to ensure reliable starts as I was chasing gas % settings trying to find out why somethimes I would get a good start and other times it would take like 2-3 times before it would start the fuel ramp.

Hopefully Eric will chime in here and assist.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
k12rc

I had similar issues with a falcon but I used the new igniter and all the problems went away
Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Vettdriver

Using PowerMax
Gas lights just fine. Starter motor cycles 4 or five times for preheat and that takes all of 6 seconds.
Sometimes, just as the fuel ramps the gas quits.
The other thing thats weird is that sometimes when I shut it down it registers as a flameout and I have to cycle the power on off and back on to clear it.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:29 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What is the EGT during the start, I bet it isn't seeing or reaching the correct temp. and it's "flaming out" as shown on the data terminal. It sounds like an easy diagnosis and I'm sure Eric will have you up and going in no time.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Vettdriver

I'm up and going just fine.

The two issues are seperate.
Sometimes the gas stops before the fuel ramps. I just start over and it's fine.

The other issue is that after a good run when I flip the throttle kill switch, it will sometimes indicate a flameout where there was none.
I actually shut it down from the transmitter.

It's perfectly reliable when running I just thought I would ask about the little nuances I'm encountering.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, with my turbine I like to see no more then 2 cycles for it to reach fuel ramp. So you might try increasing your gas% setting just a few and try that.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:37 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Vettdriver

I'm up and going just fine.

The two issues are seperate.
Sometimes the gas stops before the fuel ramps. I just start over and it's fine.

The other issue is that after a good run when I flip the throttle kill switch, it will sometimes indicate a flameout where there was none.
I actually shut it down from the transmitter.

It's perfectly reliable when running I just thought I would ask about the little nuances I'm encountering.
Sometimes my Eagle will register a failsafe shut down when I use my kill switch. I figure that the ECU thinks that the signal went to low trim too quickly to be a normal shutdown. But, it still goes into cool down cycle just fine.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

I'd say your gas setting is too low. If it's lighting but not heating up to 100 degrees it will time out and abort the start automatically after 4 or 5 start cycles. It takes 100 degrees to start the ramp cycle so bump up the gas setting 1 or 2 and try it again. However, call Eric in the AM and double check...that's what I'd do.

Beave

Old 05-28-2010, 07:10 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Greetings:

During the start process, temp must rise 50 degrees over the temp starting point before the ECU commands fuel ramp. When fuel ramp commences, the fuel pump starts very, very slow. This insures a cool, smooth fuel ramp. If the rise in temperature does not happen, the start process is aborted by the ECU. An error code is given.

How do you know the gas is being cut off prematurely? How do you know when this happens, the fuel pump is operating and continues to operate? If ECU does not detect the needed 50 degrees rise in temperature, the fuel pump will not receive the fuel ramp command from the ECU.

Please increase gas setting 5 points. If using onboard gas tank, please purge and refill prior to start attempt. If not using on board tank for gas, then insure the gas solenoid has constant pressure UNTIL you reach approx. 16,000 rpm which is the point the ECU terminates the gas.

Regards,
Eric
from "First in Flight" jet rallye