Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Diagnose this . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:35 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Diagnose this . . .

My Rhino has about 13 hours on it. Used to start up immediately. Now, I need to raise and lower the throttle trim about three times before she starts up. Sounds a little like the propane is slow to arrive to the engine, but not sure. Question, does the propane gas filter ever need to be cleaned? Or does this sound like the gas solenoid may be going bad? Note: new glow plug has been installed and adjusted between 25 and 27. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Diagnose this . . .

Yes the propane filter does need to be changed and that could be what you are seeing. My Super Eagle did something similar and after a call to Eric at Jet Central and a 2 day shipment of a new filter I was back to normal operation. My fist call would be to Eric
Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 PM
MarkShapiro

Thanks Sailing1. I have a feeling that that is the issue. I will call Eric.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:40 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark:

Remember, raising and lowering the throttle trim only serves to go from "trim low" to "Ready." Throttle trim is nothing more than an off / on switch. It does not trim the idle or serve any other purpose.

You did not say what your "start gas" setting is or if it has changed during the course of operation. You did not say if you were using the on board tank or going directly to the gas solenoid by attaching to the one way Festo check valve. Also, your propane source and valve could be the problem

What is the error code you receive when it fails to start the first two times ? This question and answers to the above questions will help me quickly diagnose and correct the issue.

Last, have you converted to our ceramic igniter or are you still using the glow plyg?

Sincerely,
Eric
Old 09-14-2010, 01:16 PM
MarkShapiro

Thanks Eric,
Start gas is at 34%. Glow plug is at 26. I am using propane directly to the gas solenoid by attaching to the one way Festo check valve. The valve that I attach to the source propane can is a modified propane torch valve with the Dubro fitting (your recommendation which has worked flawlessly). Finally, I am not using a ceramic igniter.

So last night I finally got a chance to attempt start up again, expecting the same failure so that I could get the error code. Of course, the engine started up immediately and the problem could nto be re-created. The only variable was that the starter battery just came off a full charge a couple hours earlier. I do nto believe this is the solution since I always fresh charge all batteries the night before a flying session but again, this is the only difference. Any thoughts?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark:

Menu up to second screen. Please let me know what V software you have. Let's upgrade to ceramic igniter (lifetime warranty) .

Also, please remove plug, carefully cut away heat shrink tubing on black wire (ground) and check connection. We have had some reports of "black wire disease" which has the look of green corrosion. If you find this, do the obvious. Cut back to good wire and re solder.

Regards,
Eric
Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 PM
MarkShapiro

Eric, the software is version 5.44. I also checked the ground wire to the plug and all is clean. What do I need to do the get the ceramic igniter? Thank you sir.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:29 PM
MarkShapiro

Eric,
Do I need to upgrade my software for the ceramic igniter?