RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/)
-   -   Smoking ECU (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/11422844-smoking-ecu.html)

warbirdfanatic 02-25-2013 06:12 AM

Smoking ECU

Hi guys

I own a Jc Falcon that I purchased recently and thankfully Eric gave me some useful info. I have since tried starting the engine but upon preheat when the starter jumps up from 2k revs the Ecu started to smoke at the starter motor connection on the PCB. I used a new nicad that was the same as the one that arrived with the engine as per Eric's recommendation but I'm now totally confused! I immediately contacted Gaspar and he said get in touch with JC just incase as that ECU has been out of production since 2004 and was last used on Wren engines? The ECU in question is the AU354 auto gas start. Do any of you have an idea how much a replacement would be? The ECU isn't damaged as I cut the power immediately with no harm done etc! I hope someone can help as I'm cracking on with my 1/16 DC10!!!!!

Cheers. Dave

Xairflyer 02-25-2013 07:03 AM

RE: Smoking ECU

Dave you say the ECU isnt damaged but it must be if smoke came from it? One of the Mosfets is probably burned out, could also be a track on the pcb board, I fixed one before like that.

If you do have to replace the ECU (if not fixable) you would better just to by a new ver10 from gaspers site.

warbirdfanatic 02-25-2013 07:22 AM

Cheers Seamus,

You read correctly though, the ECU is working correctly, it appears that the + lead was melting at the solder point under load which leads me to believe it may be a dodgy starter motor so I've got one on order just incase but wanted to confirm on here before hand etc!

Hope the weather is good in Ireland, it's still complete crap here in Hampshire!!!

Xairflyer 02-25-2013 10:04 AM

The one I fixed was caused by a jammed starter motor, for some reason burned the track and the mosfet.

We have had superb flying weather here for the past two weeks, clear blue skies nearly everyday but cold, today was glorious

warbirdfanatic 02-25-2013 11:46 AM

I'm jealous!

That ECU problem sounds like it could be the same my end! Motor should be with me by wednesday!

I managed to get my FPV glider out momentarily but it's been snowing / raining ever since! I even had trouble starting up my jetcat because it was soo cold that the gas had no pressure for spooling up :/

Roll on summer!

Xairflyer 02-25-2013 12:04 PM

Before I went kerostart used to keep gas can under the coat !

warbirdfanatic 02-25-2013 12:53 PM

I've gone and bought one of those flask warmer jackets that wrap around it just incase :D