RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/)
-   -   JC Experts please reply... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/11460799-jc-experts-please-reply.html)

jzuniga 03-28-2013 07:22 PM

JC Experts please reply...

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I've emailed Eric two times in the last couple of days and no replies? must be busy, so I thought I'd ask some experts here...

Super Eagle:

Lately it seems to almost get a "hung" start? As in slow in spooling up after light off. What should the Gas start settings be? I'm at 25%. Is this normal? or too low?

Next, how do I remove the cowl? I've removed the screws but it wouldn't budge. I didn't want to force it. Is there a trick to getting it off? I need to get it off cause I need to replace the fuel tubing, since mine is too short. Or rather, this brings me to the next thing: Is this ok? Festo being this close to the turbine and a bend right after? See pic:

Thanks...

Z

RONW 03-29-2013 07:07 PM

RE: JC Experts please reply...

ORIGINAL: jzuniga

Ok, I've emailed Eric two times in the last couple of days and no replies? must be busy, so I thought I'd ask some experts here...

Super Eagle:

Lately it seems to almost get a ''hung'' start? As in slow in spooling up after light off. What should the Gas start settings be? I'm at 25%. Is this normal? or too low?

Next, how do I remove the cowl? I've removed the screws but it wouldn't budge. I didn't want to force it. Is there a trick to getting it off? I need to get it off cause I need to replace the fuel tubing, since mine is too short. Or rather, this brings me to the next thing: Is this ok? Festo being this close to the turbine and a bend right after? See pic:

Thanks...

Z
Hello Z

While waiting for a reply from JC I will reply as I have this engine as well.

Hung starts and slow ramping in the ramp stage, in my experience, are usually caused by either a weak or slipping starter motor or weak gas supply. That is if the ECU has the correct settings.
I am not sure if you mean you have a 25% gas restriction or 25% gas flow which sounds very low to me if that is the case.
The front cover should come off after you remove the securing screws and FOD screen, if you use one, but can be a bit tight.
Best not to do much until you hear from Eric just in case.

Ron

jzuniga 03-29-2013 08:20 PM

Thanks for the reply Ron...

The 25% I'm referring to is the "Start Gas Adjust" sub menu per the HDT. I've talked to other Jet Central users and one told me he uses 70%!?... So I'm thinking I'm low on the starting gas. I'll give the cowl another try some other time. I'm thinking that the bend in the fuel line is not too bad so it should not cause any issues. Seems to run fine as is and no air bubbles ;-)

Z

noahb 03-29-2013 08:31 PM

If the turbine use to start fine, but as you indicated lately you are having it hang, the first thing I would do is remove the gas line (with the restrictor) and then blow air back out the restrictor. That restrictor is the little brass thing in the yellow line. Sometimes they will get a partial plug and this limits your gas supply. Hope this helps.

noahb 03-29-2013 08:33 PM

If you find that the restrictor is free, then slowly increase your gas % a couple points at a time. If you notice an improvment in starts, then you are heading in the right direction.

jzuniga 03-29-2013 09:16 PM

Thanks Noah...
The restrictor is brand new from Eric, has only two starts on it, but I'll check it...

Z

noahb 03-30-2013 10:21 AM

try increasing the gas % a few points and see if that starts to help.

BluFox 03-31-2013 04:24 PM

Hello:

Those who have responded, have given good advice. During the start sequence, if the propane lights but the turbine does not go into preheat, then fuel ramp, you will receive an Error Code stating: Time(ed) OUT. This means there was not enough propane or gas getting to the chamber so as to allow the temperature to rise 60 degrees higher than the starting point temperature. If this is the case, increase the gas setting 5 points at a time until you get the required propane/gas flow to the combustion chamber allowing the turbine to continue the start sequence.

As for removing the front cover (?) once you have removed the 3 screws, lightly tap on the cover with a rubber handle tool. . .this will "Pop" the cover loose. It is a very snug machine fit. Once under the cover, follow the gas line to the 90 degree Festo. If the 90 degree Festo is compromised and has a burn through hole, the turbine will not start. If this is the case, this condition is caused by a pressure loss due to a connection which has allowed a leak. Heat from the combustion chamber then travels back toward the gas solenoid and will burn components as it travels.

I trust this helps.

Regards,
Eric

jzuniga 04-02-2013 01:00 PM

Thanks a lot for the reply Eric...

That should do it.

Z