RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/)
-   -   approved oils (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/11613257-approved-oils.html)

karl hibbs 02-12-2015 05:08 PM

approved oils

Is there a list of approved oils that can be used in a JC turbine, can kingtech oil be used?

BluFox 02-14-2015 11:30 AM

Karl:

Jet Central recommends using synthetic oil such as Amsoil Dominator at 2.5% or 1/2 quart to 5 gallons. Other acceptable oils are:

Mobil DTE lite - Must use one (1) quart to 5 gallons
BP2380 - use 1/2 quart to 5 gallons
Aero Shell 500 - use 1/2 quart to 5 gallons (not our favorite but acceptable)
Motol synthetic - 2.5% to 5 gallons

Any turbine oil or synthetic oil with a JASO FC rating.

Regards,
Eric

karl hibbs 02-15-2015 05:19 PM

Thanks Eric, can I use kingtech oil in a JC turbine.

BluFox 02-16-2015 11:03 AM

Karl:

JASO FC rated oils are OK. While possibly amusing, I was given a quart of Jet Cat oil which I used with no issues.

Regards,
Eric

rcjets12 02-16-2015 04:33 PM

Thanks Eric for your response.

jetmon 02-16-2015 04:34 PM

Hello Karl
We haven't had the chance to test the kingtech or JetCat oils in our turbines, so at the moment, they are not approved

karl hibbs 02-16-2015 06:55 PM

Thanks Juan and Eric that is the definitive answer I needed .

luckymacy 07-19-2015 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by BluFox (Post 11983140)
Karl:

Jet Central recommends using synthetic oil such as Amsoil Dominator at 2.5% or 1/2 quart to 5 gallons. Other acceptable oils are:

Mobil DTE lite - Must use one (1) quart to 5 gallons
BP2380 - use 1/2 quart to 5 gallons
Aero Shell 500 - use 1/2 quart to 5 gallons (not our favorite but acceptable)
Motol synthetic - 2.5% to 5 gallons

Any turbine oil or synthetic oil with a JASO FC rating.

Regards,
Eric

any harm or benefits to mixing the BP2380 at 5% instead of using half the quart to get 2.5% in a 5 gallon container?

also, is this oil hygroscopic? In other words, if you only use half a quart at a time, what's a safe way to store it so it's still usable in a month?

rcjets12 07-25-2015 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by luckymacy (Post 12072258)
any harm or benefits to mixing the BP2380 at 5% instead of using half the quart to get 2.5% in a 5 gallon container?

also, is this oil hygroscopic? In other words, if you only use half a quart at a time, what's a safe way to store it so it's still usable in a month?

Hello,

for or all the years that I have been using Jet Central I have always used a 5% mix. I always have used 32 ounces per 5 gallons of fuel. You will not harm the turbine by using 5%. The only approved oil that will give you issues is if you use the Amsoil because it could get you bearings gummed up. For Amsoil don't use more than 2% because of this reason. Especially on the smaller engines like the bee and the rabbit.

VF84sluggo 08-04-2015 05:31 PM

I've been wondering the same thing: what the heck am I going to do with leftover 1/2 of a quart of BP2380? Will it "keep", or will it get contaminated if I don't use the whole quart once it's opened?

So, using the whole quart in 5 gallons of kero - 5% mix - is ok in a Rabbit?

jetmon 08-05-2015 05:37 AM

5% is ok

VF84sluggo 08-05-2015 01:00 PM

Great, thanks. I'd hate to see half a quart of oil go to waste, so good to know that using the whole quart of oil in 5 gallons of kero is ok.

luckymacy 08-05-2015 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo (Post 12080460)
Great, thanks. I'd hate to see half a quart of oil go to waste, so good to know that using the whole quart of oil in 5 gallons of kero is ok.

I got a second 5 gallon container and put a half quart in each one but only put 4 gallons of diesel in each container.

VF84sluggo 08-05-2015 05:16 PM

That's the other solution...just make up two 5-gal jugs.

But, frankly, I just don't feel like measuring out 16 oz of carcinogenic turbine oil in some type of container; then have to clean that container so there's no oil residue; then package it up somehow so it doesn't collect dust/dirt. I'd just rather dump a whole quart in the jug (while wearing disposable gloves) and add 5 gallons of kero. Yeah, I thought the glove thing was overkill, too...until I noticed that the mechanics at my airline all wear them when they handle BP2380 or Mobile Jet Oil II (the two types I've seen on the rack).

So, to each his own. But for me, based on Juan's post (#11), I'll just add a whole quart to the 5-gal jug and be done with it...like I've done when I had jets with those purple turbines.

rcjets12 08-12-2015 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo (Post 12080581)
That's the other solution...just make up two 5-gal jugs.

But, frankly, I just don't feel like measuring out 16 oz of carcinogenic turbine oil in some type of container; then have to clean that container so there's no oil residue; then package it up somehow so it doesn't collect dust/dirt. I'd just rather dump a whole quart in the jug (while wearing disposable gloves) and add 5 gallons of kero. Yeah, I thought the glove thing was overkill, too...until I noticed that the mechanics at my airline all wear them when they handle BP2380 or Mobile Jet Oil II (the two types I've seen on the rack).

So, to each his own. But for me, based on Juan's post (#11), I'll just add a whole quart to the 5-gal jug and be done with it...like I've done when I had jets with those purple turbines.

Hi Randy,

I agree with you I have always used 5% all the years I have been flying turbines with no issues. One quart per 5 gallons.

pcskyhi 09-26-2017 11:26 AM

Has there been any update regarding the use of Kingtech oil in Jet Central Turbines? If someone already owns a Kingtech turbine and already using diesel fuel with 5% Kingtech oil will they have to have a separate fuel supply for the Jet Central turbine?

GULDUKAT 09-27-2017 12:52 AM

I have a JC Cheetah and a Kingtech K210. I run gas station Diesel with 5% kingtech for both the turbines. No issues.

pcskyhi 09-27-2017 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by GULDUKAT (Post 12371124)
I have a JC Cheetah and a Kingtech K210. I run gas station Diesel with 5% kingtech for both the turbines. No issues.

Thanks for the reply. Are you doing the 5% mixing ratio?

GULDUKAT 09-27-2017 06:26 AM

Yes.

pcskyhi 09-27-2017 06:58 AM

Last question. About how many hours on the Cheetah since you started using the Kingtech oil? I wish Jet Central would update there statement on using Kingtech oil since it has been a couple of years since the question was asked before.

GULDUKAT 09-27-2017 08:15 AM

Not sure on the hours.
5% Kingtech with kerosene in winter about 20 flights
5% Kingtech with diesel in spring and summer at least 30 to 40 flights. We'll see how diesel performs this Winter. So far the performance with diesel is much better than with kerosene.

pcskyhi 09-27-2017 01:35 PM

I have to apologize to Jet Central because Juan Ramon Ruiz from Jet Central sent me an email on September 18, 2017. I just happened to check my spam folder looking for something else and saw his response. He stated that Jet Central still has not tested Kingtech oil with the Jet Central Turbines but does acknowledge that a lot of the clients are successfully using it and if you use it follow the percentage Kingtech recommends. Thanks guys. I hope to purchase a Rabbit in the near future for a project and I am also looking at a 70/80 size turbine for another project but the Bee is a bit much $$$ compared to other brands. I just wanted to find a common type of oil for different brand turbines.

JohnBuckner 09-29-2017 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by pcskyhi (Post 12371277)
, . I just wanted to find a common type of oil for different brand turbines.

I have been running quite successfully a Kingtech 60, Ace 60, JC Super Bee and a JC Rabbit all on pump diesel with kingtech oil mixed at the kingtech recommendation of 5%.

John

rcjetsaok 10-04-2017 06:24 AM

I am also wondering about the Kingtech Oil in Jet Central engines.. ( Cheetah and Rhino's ) ... I sure would like to get Juan's blessing on it. Had a stray Kingtech 210 show up on the doorstep in and looks like were going to feed it.... :) Same situation as stated, don't wan't to have to haul 2 fuel supply's. Truth be known, I think Kingtech oil is nothing more than DTE Light with a few ounces of snake oil with a new label and a big price...

Dan

Dr Honda 10-05-2017 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok (Post 12372870)
I am also wondering about the Kingtech Oil in Jet Central engines.. ( Cheetah and Rhino's ) ... I sure would like to get Juan's blessing on it. Had a stray Kingtech 210 show up on the doorstep in and looks like were going to feed it.... :) Same situation as stated, don't wan't to have to haul 2 fuel supply's. Truth be known, I think Kingtech oil is nothing more than DTE Light with a few ounces of snake oil with a new label and a big price...

Dan

It's Telis 32 with some snake oil. (LOL) That's Shell's version of DTE. It would be nice if they would just sell us the "Synthetic additive" so we can mix our own.