RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/)
-   -   Jet Central Mammoth SE Flameout Errors (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/11654785-jet-central-mammoth-se-flameout-errors.html)

JDjetjock 09-29-2018 12:36 PM

Jet Central Mammoth SE Flameout Errors

Request assistance at troubleshooting my Mammoth SE. I experienced two consecutive flame outs with the same error codes…I almost lost my F-4.

Here's more details:
Flameouts occurred after 3.5 to 4.5 minutes into the flight.
No puff of smoke from flameout.
Occurred at part throttle (20%, 63060 rpm) and not accelerating.
On the hand-held and data download after the failure:
- Info alarm: Acceleration Error
- Stop alarms: RPM Error and Fuel Error
- Set point was constant, but RPM dropped below idle point when errors occurred

I thoroughly checked the fuel system for air leaks and could not find any (except I could not check within the powerpack or turbine). No evidence of bubbles in the fuel lines.
I use a CAT hopper tank with large fuel lines.
I use anti-static additive in the fuel.
I could not reproduce the failure on the ground after the incidents.

My turbine is:
- software version: 26.28
- time on turbine: 6 hours, 40 min

Running parameters: (stock settings used)
- Idle RPM: 28,200
- Accel time: 17
- Running Acceleration Curve: 1, Normal
- Decel Curve: 1, Normal
Throttle curve: LINEAR

So what is the cause? I think it might be an RPM sensor.

Help is much appreciated!

Jeff

smiller 09-30-2018 09:08 AM

I am having the same problems with my Cheetah SE. It only flames out below 1/4 throttle in the air, will run all day on the ground. I get acceleration, fuel error and low rpm codes, no smoke at flame out. It has been in for repair a couple of times. I have tried different UAT's, high flow system and fittings. I put engine and power pack in a friends airplane and flew it, same problem. It has not been solved yet.

Scott

JDjetjock 09-30-2018 09:39 AM

Worrysome isn't it. I just did more run-ups today with trying to reproduce the flameout on the ground. I purposely set the low rpm accel very aggressive down to 4 from 17, and still no accel error. I am at a loss.

smiller 10-01-2018 06:11 AM

Yes. We have done some extensive flight testing changing user adjustable parameters even uploading base parameters from a known good running engine. I put the plane in a good position to land when pulling the power back because I know it will flame out or the power will pulsate. Factory has all our testing downloads, they are stumped as well. They even sent me a new engine to try and it did the same thing on the first flight. When we attempted a start for a second try we had a bad igniter ! Very frustrated. Will post if fix is found.

Scott

Sparhawk 10-03-2018 02:52 PM

They even sent me a new engine to try and it did the same thing on the first flight.
For me, this is the most important line I've read so far. You either have a fuel issue, or an electrical issue.
Just need to find it. I once had a cold solder joint give me headaches for weeks..

Dan

smiller 10-04-2018 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sparhawk (Post 12467886)
For me, this is the most important line I've read so far. You either have a fuel issue, or an electrical issue.
Just need to find it. I once had a cold solder joint give me headaches for weeks..

Dan

Well when the second engine did the same thing I thought the same way, must be issue in my airframe. My friend has a plane with an older Cheetah , we put my engine in his plane using his power harness and batteries also a different communication harness and it did the same exact thing {quits when power pulled back to 1/4 or below} This only happens in flight, runs fine on the ground . Two engines doing the same thing, one tryed in a different airframe with the same results. Strange !

Scott

Canadian Man 10-04-2018 06:55 AM

With the new engine did all the other items get changed as well? Fuel Pump?
or did new engine get installed with previous equipment?

Originally Posted by smiller (Post 12468040)
Well when the second engine did the same thing I thought the same way, must be issue in my airframe. My friend has a plane with an older Cheetah , we put my engine in his plane using his power harness and batteries also a different communication harness and it did the same exact thing {quits when power pulled back to 1/4 or below} This only happens in flight, runs fine on the ground . Two engines doing the same thing, one tryed in a different airframe with the same results. Strange !

Scott

smiller 10-04-2018 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Canadian Man (Post 12468043)
With the new engine did all the other items get changed as well? Fuel Pump?
or did new engine get installed with previous equipment?

All new . I requested a full new system because a power pack {pump, valves} was changed before with same results.

Scott

smiller 10-04-2018 07:17 AM

I should add, When we put my engine in the other plane i also put my power pack in.

Scott

JDjetjock 10-05-2018 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JDjetjock (Post 12466822)
Request assistance at troubleshooting my Mammoth SE. I experienced two consecutive flame outs with the same error codes…I almost lost my F-4.

Here's more details:
Flameouts occurred after 3.5 to 4.5 minutes into the flight.
No puff of smoke from flameout.
Occurred at part throttle (20%, 63060 rpm) and not accelerating.
On the hand-held and data download after the failure:
- Info alarm: Acceleration Error
- Stop alarms: RPM Error and Fuel Error
- Set point was constant, but RPM dropped below idle point when errors occurred

I thoroughly checked the fuel system for air leaks and could not find any (except I could not check within the powerpack or turbine). No evidence of bubbles in the fuel lines.
I use a CAT hopper tank with large fuel lines.
I use anti-static additive in the fuel.
I could not reproduce the failure on the ground after the incidents.

My turbine is:
- software version: 26.28
- time on turbine: 6 hours, 40 min

Running parameters: (stock settings used)
- Idle RPM: 28,200
- Accel time: 17
- Running Acceleration Curve: 1, Normal
- Decel Curve: 1, Normal
Throttle curve: LINEAR

So what is the cause? I think it might be an RPM sensor.

Help is much appreciated!

Jeff

Request to have Jet Central comment....Manny or Juan?

Thank you.