RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/)
-   -   New Cheetah in GJC F-15. Great performance (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/jet-central-turbines-artes-jet-139/9949710-new-cheetah-gjc-f-15-great-performance.html)

noahb 08-21-2010 11:45 AM

New Cheetah in GJC F-15. Great performance

I recieved my Cheetah about two weeks ago. Just now finished my GJC F-15 and flew it yesterday and today. Had the CG too far forward yesterday, so shifted it back. The performance of the cheetah is awesome. My GJC f-15 weighs 26.5 lbs dry. On take off, after a few passes, it has unlimited verticle. I fly at 3100' and it's been about 90 deg out. Very impressed with the performance.

Today, installed my buddies GPS unit and did a couple of high speed runs. Not pushing it real hard, but moderate. The GPS showed max of 203mph. Not sure if that is accurate, but I do know that I have checked his GPS unit against my radar gun and it showed within 1mph. I was totally shocked that the F-15 hit this. I am a little skepitical about the speed, so tomorrow will do another run and check it with both my gun and the gps unit. I do know, that I have run this GPS unit in my DV8R and it hit 180 before I shut it down. I verifed that with my gun as well. The f-15 looks to be going alot faster than my DV8R.

Anyway, the cheetah is so far performing great. Just thought I would give you guys an update on the turbine.

Zagzoo 08-23-2010 04:59 PM

RE: New Cheetah in GJC F-15. Great performance

I just purchased a cheeta today for my JL F-15, thanks for the heads up!!! My F-15 is sitting around 20lbs'ish without the engine.

noahb 08-23-2010 05:18 PM

You will love the cheetah. My f-15 came in around 26lbs...maybe closer to 26.5. I used servos and a multiple of UP valves for my jet. I used the Jet Central sequencer and three of the UP valves and then used the UP6 brake vavle. This prob. added a bit of weight over a std. setup. However, it has worked flawless so far. I am also running the scale cockpit and a pilot.

I clocked it yesterday with my radar gun at 180mph even. This was done with no dive at all. Just a wide turn and then stright and level. I love the way this jet flys. It flys very good, and it settles right into a nice landing. It's real easy to keep the front wheel off after the mains touch down.

noahb 08-23-2010 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a pic.

powerjets 08-23-2010 06:16 PM

How about a picture inside the hatch ?

Zagzoo 08-23-2010 08:17 PM

Is your GJC a 1/8 or 1/9.5 scale? Mine is a 1/9.5 scale with the cheetah installed, probably why I am ligther.

noahb 08-23-2010 08:42 PM

its the 9.5.

I have the Globa Jet Club f-15. I know it's a jet legend, but they do a few things to it. Is yours painted and all?

Weigh yours when you get everthing installed. I assume you have the gear doors and all?

noahb 08-23-2010 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is some of the install.

sailing1 08-26-2010 02:18 PM

Noahb,
Got one hitting town tomorrow I think. Am thinking about sticking it in my Flash for a while till I get another air frame. Dry weight with the Cheetah should be a around 24 lbs but I am concerned about fuel. I carry 95 ounces in the Flash with the Rabbit and fly 8-10 min with 30% left is my norm. Do you have any idea how much fuel your new Cheetah burns? What type of flying are you doing to get this burn rate.

Thanks

noahb 08-26-2010 05:24 PM

I was told all three tanks carry 110 oz of fuel. I have my timer set at 5 minutes and it starts when the jet leaves the ground. I have been flying it pretty hard (mostly 3/4 throttle and some full). When my timer goes off, I deploy gear and land. My main tank is still full. I think it's around 30oz or so. So I usually do another few take offs and landings and then taxi back. You will find that with this turbine, unless you are wanting to go fast all the time you will be at less stick than that of the rabbit.

I am sure if I put my timer on 6 minutes that I could still fly the same and land with plenty of reserve. It's not a fuel hog, but I just like flying the F-15 this way however I will start flying a bit slower and save the do less of the fast passes. just wanted to see what the F-15 could do.

I would think you will be fine. I would set my timer to 5 minutes and then work my way up.

hope this helps you.

The cheetah is awesome turbine so far.

sailing1 08-26-2010 07:02 PM

Thanks. That is pretty much what I was hopeing to hear. The Flash should be a little cleaner airframe than the F15 so that should also help.

If the Cheetah is anything like the Rabbit it will be a huge winner.

KC36330 08-26-2010 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: noahb
............ The GPS showed max of 203mph.
If i ever finish mine up i've got a Titan SE going in it......glad to know that'll be plenty ;)

noahb 08-26-2010 07:45 PM

Yep, be plenty. I love the way it flys. I was shocked at how fast it is. I have always read they the f-15 was real draggy and not a fast jet.

KC36330 08-26-2010 07:47 PM

i planned the Titan for High Alpha moreso then speed, i wasn't expecting those sort of speeds out of it, i'd heard 150 with it cleaned up, a lot less with ordnance attached.

noahb 08-26-2010 09:41 PM

Yeah, I was shocked. 180 stright and level no problem. However, I did do some high alpha and it's very easy to accomplish with this jet. Behaves very nice in high alpha.

Zagzoo 09-07-2010 04:31 PM

Yeah, I was shocked. 180 stright and level no problem. However, I did do some high alpha and it's very easy to accomplish with this jet. Behaves very nice in high alpha.

noab,
Got my cheetah installed (btw.. thanks for the trays next to the engine idea). I came in at 25lbs dry, no extra lead added. I was able to balance with my 2 batteries only.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9986662/tm.htm]F-15 Cheetah[/link]

noahb 09-07-2010 06:28 PM

Awesome. BTW, make sure the trays do not interfere with the main tires. I had to raise my tray up just a bit. It caused one of them to hang up sometimes. I caught this before I ever flew it.

Zagzoo 09-07-2010 07:48 PM

Awesome. BTW, make sure the trays do not interfere with the main tires. I had to raise my tray up just a bit. It caused one of them to hang up sometimes. I caught this before I ever flew it.

I think I have them 1/8" to 1/4" above them mains.. I have cycled them 20x setting the up/down retract and door speeds. Never hung up once.

Zagzoo 10-09-2010 09:10 PM

noab,
You werent kidding about performance.. finally got to fly mine today.. seemed like it took off in 100ft after i got it rolling then slamming the throttle full. I was getting 5 1/2 minutes flights, flying around 3/4 to full entire flight. WOW! Vertical was very impressive, actually had to stop it before it went out of sight.

noahb 10-09-2010 11:39 PM

Frank, good to hear. Still flying mine. I love the way it flys. Hope to get a video in the next week or so.

Larry