Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

Mobil DTE oil and Jetcat warranty?

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Mobil DTE oil and Jetcat warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:09 PM
HELLFIRE989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil DTE oil and Jetcat warranty?

Hey guys will using this oil void the Jetcat warranty? >>>> http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/mobi...te-p-1785.html
Old 01-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Mobil DTE oil and Jetcat warranty?

I asked the same question recently:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10851888

The answer, basically, is as long as people keep buying Jetcats they could not care less about testing alternative
oils regardless of the health & legal implications of using jet oil in a way that the oil manufacturers did not intend.

People that have used DTE in Jetcats & other makes of turbines have reported good results, as you probably know
some manufacturers approve of it.

Interesting that the oil you provided the link to is DTE 'Heavy' oil, not the DTE 'Light' that is usually used. Maybe
Dreamworks can explain?

John.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

Interesting that the oil you provided the link to is DTE 'Heavy' oil, not the DTE 'Light' that is usually used. Maybe
Dreamworks can explain?

John.

It's just the wrong picture. Todd has it listed as ISO 32/ SAE 10. (that's the light oil)
Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM
HELLFIRE989

I just found this in the P-100rx manual >>> WARNING! Assure that the fuel is mixed with approximately 5% synthetic oil. Use only synthetic turbine oils available at local airport fuel suppliers. Synthetic turbine oils are dangerous and should only be handled as per the manufactures MDS sheets. JetCat has available a compatible oil that is less harmful that also contains an antistatic ingredient. Contact JetCat for more information. Looks like they allow some type of substitute? Maybe the Jetcat rep can confirm what oil this is?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:33 AM
wirlybird

This will be interesting!!
Dave.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
HELLFIRE989

Is there a Jetcat rep who monitors this forum? I really would like to know how Jetcat stands on the mentioned oil for use in their turbines and if it will void warranty? Also some clarification on the alternative brand they mention in the manual?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mr Matt dropped out of monitoring the forum a year or more ago due to his real job.  I don't think any rep's have a better answer than Boomerang1 gave above or what's in the link.  Call JetCat USA @ 805-226-8700 and talk to Bob Wilcox or send an e-mail to them: [email protected]. There are Canadian dealers listed on JetCat's site and maybe they can get answers for you.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:41 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would any company recommend a product other than the one they now produce? in the first instance they recommended turbine oil, because that was all there was available, they now produce their own oil, not rocket science to work out the answer.

Mike
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Xairflyer

You wont get an official answer from Jetcat, they now sell their own oil which seems suspiciously like DTE Lite.

All other turbine manufacturers say it is ok, a jetcat is the same basic design as the rest, the oil is used to lube the bearings. In most cases the fuel feed is Tee'd off inside the turbine to a pipe that allows oil to flow on the front bearing which then runs through it down the tunnel to the rear bearing. So if DTE lite is not suitable they must be using a lower spec bearing to everyone else.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:04 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The answer, basically, is as long as people keep buying Jetcats they could not care less about testing alternative
oils regardless of the health & legal implications of using jet oil in a way that the oil manufacturers did not intend.
answer from who?

Jetcat sells a non organophosphate oil. Has been for awhile.

Bob Wilcox sells it for 10 bucks a quart.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 PM
HELLFIRE989

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

answer from who?

Jetcat sells a non organophosphate oil. Has been for awhile.

Bob Wilcox sells it for 10 bucks a quart.
Do you have a link to where I can purchase this oil online? I was looking on the Jetcat usa site but could not find it.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 PM
mr_matt

I will tell Bob to put a link up. But it is 10 a quart + shipping
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM
HELLFIRE989

I will tell Bob to put a link up. But it is 10 a quart + shipping
Much appreciated!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I was talking to Marcus Zipperer from JetCat a few months back about this very subject – alternative synthetic oils.

He explained that there are several fully synthetic oils that can be used as an alternative, HOWEVER; the problem is NOT the oil but rather the different grades of kerosene that modelers use. Its this inconsistency that some oils don't do well with.

Mobil Jet II provides the best lubrication and protection to internal parts when the kerosene used is NOT a high quality, aviation grade Jet-A1.

Therefore the way I see it is this:

1. If a modeler uses very clean, high quality, aviation grade Jet-A1. Then an alternative to Mobil Jet II may be considered.

2. If a modeler uses kerosene (perhaps of various inconsistent grades), then only Mobil Jet II (or the JetCat Turbine Oil) should be used.

Any other comments, ideas, suggestions will be welcome.

Best regards,

Darryl
Old 01-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Boomerang1

answer from who?
This is the original thread where I asked the question: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10851813

As was said in that thread, as long as people keep buying them, me included, what incentive is there for them
to go to the trouble to test other oils.

Even less so now they have their own 'safe' oil which they can make a handy profit from.

I can guess the next press release, 'following health concerns using turbine oil we only recommend our own safe oil'.

John.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:22 AM
mr_matt

Ok believe what you want, jetcat knows a lot about dte light etc etc. I think Darryl explains it well. No conspiracies.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Xairflyer

Ok believe what you want, jetcat knows a lot about dte light etc etc. I think Darryl explains it well. No conspiracies.
Why is jetcat view different to other turbine manufacturers.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:53 AM
mr_matt

I would reread darryl's response from Markus or call Bob Wilcox, i dont want to get into what other manufacturers do or dont do. Jetcat has been researching oil alternatives for awhile, i take exception to this characterization that Jetcat has been doing nothing or has disdain for its customers.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Just to be fair... AMT doesn't allow DTE either. They only recommend AeroShell 500 or 560. BUT... as far as I know... everyone else says it's OK.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Boomerang1

Therefore the way I see it is this:

1. If a modeler uses very clean, high quality, aviation grade Jet-A1. Then an alternative to Mobil Jet II may be considered.

2. If a modeler uses kerosene (perhaps of various inconsistent grades), then only Mobil Jet II (or the JetCat Turbine Oil) should be used.
I would certainly agree with Darryl's comments on inconsistencies of the fuel available to us/used by us.
What also causes confusion is the different names for different fuels used in different parts of the world.

In Australia we used to have 'lighting kerosene' and 'power Kerosene'. Now all we have is 'kerosene', grade
unknown. Available from everywhere from supermarkets to hardware stores (cheapest price, $3 per litre)
this seems very 'dry' with little obvious lubricating qualities. Jet A-1 (around the same price as petrol in Oz,
currently about $1.40 per litre) on the other hand appears oily to start with, much like diesel with much more
viscosity. 'Bulk' kerosene is also available from very few petrol stations stored in underground tanks, I've
only bought it once & it was contaminated so I no longer consider it.

I can understand a company's caution when they are liable for warranty claims but if Jetcat is happy to allow
the use of alternative oils with clean, good quality Jet A-1 let us know. I know my situation now, one fuel mix
for my Jetcat (at least until it's out of warranty), another mix for my other engines which are basically the same.
Everyone knows that makes no sense. - John.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 AM
gwl

Hello,
Does anyone have a copy of the MSDS for the less toxic oil that Jetcat is offering?
I have asked for one at Jetcat USA but haven't heard back from them yet.
I would prefer to use an oil recommended by Jetcat but would also prefer to use one that is better approved for my health as well ;-)