Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

clerification on starter tanks.

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

clerification on starter tanks.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Trilabite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clerification on starter tanks.

Hey out there.

Another rookie question. So I have my new P80-se set up on a test stand. Just wanted to make sure I understand the starter tank process. I'm using a primus butane/propane mix, (can't find colman's). My question is when I insert the prob am I expecting the on board tank to fill with liquid fuel? or equalize the tank pressure with the source tank. Also with the plastic prob I don't seem to be getting much of a seal with it. Is the because I'm not using a Colman tank?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: clerification on starter tanks.

You're looking to get liquid into your onboard propane tank.  On the Powermax bottles, there is a clunk inside, just like a fuel tank.  So holding it upright when using the probe gets liquid to the tank.  Other types of propane/butane mixes don't have the clunk so you have to hold them upside down when filling the onboard tank.  Getting the probe in while holding it upside down and not have leakage is just going to take practice.  Make the line to the probe longer to keep from having to do too much contortion.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Trilabite

Thanks Thud,

I'm trying to do the inverted thing. But it leaks allot. Is there a cleaner option perhaps? I still can get only a few drops of liquid fuel in the bugger.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Thud_Driver

Pretty much relies on getting the probe straight in and getting more or less a seal.  Could be your probe isn't quite right.  Unless you can come up with something else or a new one, isn't much I can tell you.

Used to be trigger Valves availabe for the cans but I just looked at Dreamworks and he doesn't have anything except for the green Coleman propane bottles.  Personally, I bought that valve and went to straight propane and don't use an onboard tank anymore.

Altecare has a valve you might use if the propane/butane cans you buy have threads:

http://www.altecare.com/behotecaccessories.htm

Look for the entry that says "Starting Gas Tank Valve" - you want the valve not the bottle.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

The Altecare valve should work fine. These cans are slightly different than the Powermax cans at the valve so the plastic probe doesn't work too well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81456.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1738018  
Old 03-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Trilabite

Thanks guys, this is helpful stuff. I think I may try this valve from Altecare.

Question Thud, when you use propane, is there anything different you have to do? There is more psi with propane so do you need to worry about a pop at start up?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Thud_Driver

I've taken both the bottle and solenoid out of the airplane and just have the check valve and filter in line to the engine.  I use a quick disconnect to hook up the line from the propane bottle.  Just turn on the gas as the engine spins down on the first cycle and it lights off and starts.  Turn off the gas mid start, disconnect the bottle & go.  Takes a start or two to figure out how much to open the valve.  If anything, its more reliable than the Powermax.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Trilabite

Thanks for the help thud,

Sounds like another good way to go. Think I'll try it!

Cheers