Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

popping at idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:29 PM
lukehall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping at idle

Hi all,

I'm just getting used to my new P80SE on the bench before putting it in a Sprint. I have noticed that at idle rpm, there is a fair bit of 'popping' from the exhaust end, accompanied by a little puff of flame each time. It decreases as the rpm increases. I guess this is normal and just due to a bit of uneven flow through the compressor and combustion chamber, but I wanted to ask here to make sure!

There also seems to be a little local hotspot. Again, mainly at idle, in the 4 o'clock position inside the jet pipe, concentrating on one of the three tailcone mounting bolts. There is often a little lick of flame in this position also.

If anyone can reassure me, that would be great!

Best wishes,

Luke
Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: popping at idle

Mine used to pop at idle, but was a standard P80 not the SE, also the hot spot was at 5 o/c, but could only be seen in twighlight or dark conditions, hope this helps.

Mike
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Thud_Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The poping comes from small fuel droplets lighting off.  I've had it on a few non-SE P-80's.  If you get a lot of it, it could possibly mean a fuel needle isn't quite right.  You'd have to talk to JetCat.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Xairflyer

I seen this on a new turbine before, it went away after the first flight.

Every turbine has a little hotspot seen looking up the tailcone in the 4-5 oclock position.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:56 PM
B-727 Driver

I had the same indication with a standard P-120 some time back. After several discussion with Jet Cat, and trying many things to correct it (nothing worked) I sent it to them for some unexplained flame out issues. Whatever they did to it, the problem went away.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:44 PM
lukehall

Thanks for you replies. It has never been up to high power so maybe when it does, it'll clear the tubes out!

Best wishes,

Luke
Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Xairflyer

The ECU will need to store the parameters of the turbine so it needs to go to full power for about 5 secs, look at the HDT when at full power it will flash up parameters stored, you might find it will be a lot better after that.