Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

Jetcat HP-5 Power Up Problem

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Jetcat HP-5 Power Up Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
DStJohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetcat HP-5 Power Up Problem

I had not flown my Jetcopter yet this year; I pulled it out, recharged the batteries, and powered it up, to check it out. To my surprise, the fuel solenoid started chattering on power-up. I switched it off, hooked up the GSU and reapplied power. The solenoid again chattered, the GSU lit up, but no display on it. I checked the ECU battery (6 cell stick pack, it is an old HP-5) and it was at 8.2 volts. I checked the Rx battery and it was 5.2 volts. I tried a different ECU battery and Rx battery with the same results. I unplugged the solenoid and the chatter stopped, plugged it in and the chatter started again.
Anyone had a similar problem, or any ideas? Time for a new solenoid?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Jetcat HP-5 Power Up Problem

Couple questions:

Did you leave the ECU battery plugged in while the jetcopter sat idle.  Just a note:  the ECU draws a tiny current even when "off".  So the batteries were more or less ok when you went to charge them??

I'd be more concerned the GSU didn't provide a display after power up.

Assuming a propane start, did you try plugging the propane solenoid in place of the fuel solenoid to see if it does the same.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:49 PM
DStJohn

I did have the battery disconnected from the ECU, I always unplug it after a day of flying. NiMh self discharge terribly fast, so I keep it disconnected. After I posted the note, I experimented with it. I pulled out a solenoid for my P-80 and tried it. That brand new solenoid did the same thing. Also if I unplug the cable going to the HP-5 Starter box, the chattering stops. When I plug it back in the GSU comes back to life. My investigation continues tonight....
Old 06-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Thud_Driver

Anything unusual on the GSU display?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:59 PM
DStJohn

The display looks normal when it comes on. The battery voltage shows 8.1 V and everything looks good. As soon as I try to bump the starter motor, the solenoid starts chattering. It is almost time for a bearing replacement, so I may just pack it up and send it to Jetcat to check out.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Thud_Driver

There was a thread on RunRyder a number of years ago related to what amounted to a stuck clutch.

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t153286p1/

Ok, the thread may not mean a thing, but the clue to me is that you hit the starter and the problem starts. I'm wondering if you aren't pulling the voltage way down due to excess drag somewhere. I'd go to the Info menu and select the battery voltage and see what it does when you try to start.

Otherwise, I don't have much else.

Edit: if the link gets blown away do a google search for "HP-5 starter problem"