Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

P-80 ECU Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 AM
flyinGraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-80 ECU Help

Hi all,

after a bit of advice, putting together a model for a friend, its the original P80 with v2 ECU, having connected it all up and set the start up procedure on the transmitter, once the ECU gets past, trim up, throttle up and starts to spool up the ECU started to smoke so I shut it all off.

I've checked and double checked everything was connected the correct way etc and can rule that out, I did come across a broken pin on the MPX temp and rpm sensor plug that goes in to the turbine, there is a slight burn mark as well on the plug where this connection has broken.

Having replaced that, the only readout I'm getting now is "ERROR Temp Sensor Fail" both the red and yellow LEDs are flashing, and the temperature is reading a nice 1224 degrees without the turbine having even been started, I think the guy who's model it is, is going to upgrade and bring the ECU etc up to the latest version anyway now, but just wondering if anyone could shed any light on what's gone on, I don't like not getting to the bottom of problems!

Thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 AM
frema

Default RE: P-80 ECU Help

well you can try to reset the egt probe
but i think its gone
if you get an error message , the egt probe is broken
you know how to reset the probe?

Regards
Martin.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 AM
flyinGraham

Thanks for your reply Martin, not sure on how to go about that, any help greatly appreciated, many thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

V2 ECU is pretty old and a lot has changed.

The general procedure for recalibrating the temp probe is to hold the Select Menu button down while powering up the ECU (turn Rx on) and continue to hold until you see the Calibrate Temperature message and then release. After that the Temperature should read about 21 degrees.

The wires to the multiplex connector at the engine only carry power, not data. The fact that a broken pin was found with a burn spot coupled to smoke seen from the ECU leaves the odds very low that you have a working ECU at this point. Something shorted, and, while its possible that only power control to the engine is affected, likely you will not be able to use the engine. Just push and hold the Ignition button and see if the engine spins. If not, you're probably done.

What kind of battery was being used to power the ECU??
Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 AM
flyinGraham

Thanks for the info, the plan was always to change the temp probe and the ECU anyway I think, so I think this may be the time to upgrade it all!

Have tried to recalibrate everything but as suspected I think it's had it, temp still reading around the 1200 degrees mark and pushing the Ignition button, the engine starts to spin, as soon as the turbine attempts to turn over the GSU read out turns to strange symbols and it stops spinning.

Battery used was the supplied Jetcat 7.2v Nicad, all original cables etc etc

Think it's time for the latest ECU and a new temp probe, thanks for the help guys
Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My bet would be there's nothing wrong with the temperature probe itself but more likely an artifact of a blown ECU or damaged circuit board in the engine. You may want to have that checked too as it could be where the cause of short actually occurred. Be worth taking the cowl off tolook at the board.