Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

JetCat P-60 Plug Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 AM
rocketman-RCU
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JetCat P-60 Plug Failure

I burned 3 straight plugs on startup, then went in to test functions and reduced the voltage from 2.5 volts down to the default 2.1 volts. Now no glow at all. Have adjusted it back to 2.48 volts and no glow. I have checked plug on 1.2 volt hotshot and it glows fine. Ecu battery was topped off to 8.5 volts, and still no fire on startup. Now what?
Old 08-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: JetCat P-60 Plug Failure

My opinion is something was shorted and finally blew making it inop.

On the GSU, do you get an indication of plug failure even with a known good one installed or beeps from the engine with a good plug?

I would check the power cable to the engine for burn spots at the plugs. Also take the engine cowl off and look for burnt parts on the circuit board. Last, you might want to take the cover off the ECU and check the boards for burnt parts.

When you checked the plug at the engine, did you attach the cap and hold the plug against the threaded part of the glow plug port while using the glow plug test function on the GSU?

What plug do you use? Personally, I like McCoy MC-9's and run them at 2.45 volts. This is a cold plug with heavier element like a Rossi R8.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:23 PM
rocketman-RCU

Yes, I'm using an MC-9. And yes, I watched the plug element with the plug out and grounded. The computer sees the plug as good and does the startup sequence, but it doesn't glow. This is really interesting: I put a volt meter on it, and it shows 1.5 volts with everything shut down, and the volt meter moves up toward 2 volts during startup, but no glow. I again tested the plug on a 1.2 volt hotshot and it is still good and hot. This makes no sense to me.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Thud_Driver

Starting to sound like one of the power FET's on the ECU power board is shot.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 PM
rocketman-RCU

I also noticed that the propane valve makes a clicking sound as it puffs out increments of propane to the turbine. I think my other JetCats do this but I'm not sure. Anyway, I still don't understand how I can have voltage on the glowplug and no fire. Wouldn't that mean zero amps or zero watts?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Thud_Driver

Your propane valve has a on-off duty cycle based on what you set in Limits; ie; 80%.  It will click on and off based on this setting.

It's certainly possible to have voltage at the plug but no amps to drive it.  Jetcat places a voltage on the plug to monitor coil continuity so that it can warn you if the plug has failed.  Apparently, that part is working.  However, if the power FETs are blown, the circuit won't provide any amps to light it up.  That part seems to be inop.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:04 PM
rocketman-RCU

I closely inspected all 3 circuit boards in the ECU, and see no apparent burned spots. Same with the turbine circuit board. Nothing seems to be out of place or burned. I guess it needs to go to JetCat?
Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Thud_Driver

Certainly was worth looking but a bad FET doesn't necessarily have to be burnt.

Unless you can actually find anything else, I'd send it in.