Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

stater motor disengage state

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

stater motor disengage state

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stater motor disengage state

Can anybody tell me which state or phase the starter motor should disengage from the compressor nut? in a P120SE.

I know the yellow led tells whether it is engaged but want to know when it should go off/at which point in the startup sequence. I had to change out the starter o-ring at 8hrs which seems far too soon and wonder if the motor is somehow hanging up or staying engaged too long.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:12 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: stater motor disengage state

when the yellow LED goes out the starter should disengage. GSU should change from accelerate to stabilize.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it depends on the turbine type but they pulse on and off up to maybe 30k RPMs. If you are going through o rings you might want to check the clearance between the face of the o ring and the nut. The might be to tight or too loose.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks both. I will check for this on next startup. I was pretty sure it was engaged past 10k(glancing back and forth between the led and rpm readout) and wondered if that was normal. Sounds like it is designed to endure significant rpm. With new o-ring in place I will see if it has changed at all still has fair bit of clearance .. maybe couple or 3 mm IIRC.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dbsonic

............. I was pretty sure it was engaged past 10k.

After ignition is detected the starter ramps the turbine to approximately 20K RPM before disengaging, if the turbine lags down during acceleration it will kick back in and spool up again.