Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Watchdog

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:42 PM
rzanasi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watchdog

A friend was doing the first flight of your plane using the turbine JETCAT P160 and unfortunately after takeoff turbine erased. When we pick up the wreckage of the plane, we saw that the ECU accused "watchdog". We saw in the manual that the turbine can be a problem of static. The question is, what is the cause of static, how to avoid the problem?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Watchdog

A typical Watchdog event is triggered by a static discharge during or after takeoff.  While not common, they do occur and a particular jet may have repeat occurrences while other similar models may not have a problem.  For example, I witnessed one particular jet have Watchdog shutdowns repeatedly on takeoff roll.  The usual culprit tends to be a static charge build up in the fuel system/lines due to high fuel flows.  Probably depends on the type/location of lines/equipment and can tend to favor larger engines.  There can be other causes but I doubt much of this is well understood.

JetCat sells an anti-static additive which can be mixed with your fuel.  The amount required is very small.  Very few people use it but you may want to consider it.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:55 PM
rzanasi

Default RE: Watchdog

Ok Thank you very much for your reply!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:24 PM
morwan_gsm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that happened to me two times before my first successfull takeoff, after moving fuel and gas lines away from the intake and cover them, it never happen anymore
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 PM
cyphur01

Very few people use it but there is no reason not to. I have been mixing it with all of my kero since my fueling unit sent a large static charge through my elan and decided to do some not so nice things to the radio equipment. Dry arid climates contribute to this. I have now switched to jetcat oil which comes premixed with the anti static in it. Also, some anti static spray on the wheels will help prevent this as well. I do both on all my jets. Takes 2 seconds to mix a cap full into a 5 gallon fueler and 10 seconds to spray and wipe the wheels down. Peace of mind.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:45 AM
leider
My Feedback: (2)

rzanasi have a look at this interesting article http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/f...considerations , go to 1.1.3 Static electricity discharge., hop it helps