Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

Jetcat P80SE - running without receiver

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Jetcat P80SE - running without receiver

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Kerios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Jetcat P80SE - running without receiver

Hello all,

A project I am working on (non aircraft) requires the use of two P80SE turbines, however the control of them is not using the typical RC receiver setup etc. I understand that a servo tester can be used to control the throttle in lieu of the receiver which is what I have connected however, I can't get the GSU to start the turbines (individually, before handing over to joint control.

My setup is as follows, P80SE with a 6.0 ECU connected to fuel tank (via pump, filter, fuel valve) to turbine, propane start tank via connector (off board tank, filter, valve) to turbine, EGT and power cables checked and secured. Battery for ECU is a LiPo (configuration checked and state checked).

ECU has a servo tester connected to the Throttle channel (Aux is disabled), servo tester powered via NiMH battery pack (voltage good).

What I want, is for the GSU (new T shaped controller) to start the engine and then switch over to the servo controller (which is modified to act as a squeeze throttle), however at present the servo controller will erratically start the engine but the GSU won't.

The GSU doesn't seem to want to talk to the ECU at all, and the instructions (I know the supplied manual is wrong), and having read the ECU 6.0 manual, I still can't see where it says how to start the engine via GSU.

Can anyone tell me the following:

1) Does this setup sound viable?
2) Will any servo tester work as a surrogate receiver and do I need an Aux switch or Trim controller to make this work?
3) How do you start the turbine with the GSU?
4) Is there anything else likely to be wrong?

Thanks in anticipation of any help!

Mike
Old 08-28-2017, 04:57 AM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts

Mike,
See the link below, it appears to be running without the RX connected, and using servo tester, sorry I do not have any more information.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:02 AM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts

And this one too

Old 08-28-2017, 12:16 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerios
Hello all,

A project I am working on (non aircraft) requires the use of two P80SE turbines, however the control of them is not using the typical RC receiver setup etc. I understand that a servo tester can be used to control the throttle in lieu of the receiver which is what I have connected however, I can't get the GSU to start the turbines (individually, before handing over to joint control.

My setup is as follows, P80SE with a 6.0 ECU connected to fuel tank (via pump, filter, fuel valve) to turbine, propane start tank via connector (off board tank, filter, valve) to turbine, EGT and power cables checked and secured. Battery for ECU is a LiPo (configuration checked and state checked).

ECU has a servo tester connected to the Throttle channel (Aux is disabled), servo tester powered via NiMH battery pack (voltage good).

What I want, is for the GSU (new T shaped controller) to start the engine and then switch over to the servo controller (which is modified to act as a squeeze throttle), however at present the servo controller will erratically start the engine but the GSU won't.

The GSU doesn't seem to want to talk to the ECU at all, and the instructions (I know the supplied manual is wrong), and having read the ECU 6.0 manual, I still can't see where it says how to start the engine via GSU.

Can anyone tell me the following:

1) Does this setup sound viable?
2) Will any servo tester work as a surrogate receiver and do I need an Aux switch or Trim controller to make this work?
3) How do you start the turbine with the GSU?
4) Is there anything else likely to be wrong?

Thanks in anticipation of any help!

Mike
As for the RC controller, just make sure you can set up the "throws" (the pulse widths) set so you can move the trim to the right place in the start sequence, perhaps you don't have enough trim programmed in and the ECU cannot reliably distinguish trim settings need to start the turbine. Otherwise a controller works fine, just make sure you are in single channel mode on the ECU.

I do not know of you can hand one turbine over with the other one running in manual mode. You can start them with the RC controller in sequence mode (one turbine then the other) but as I say I dont know how manual mode would work, it at all.

Why do you need to start them in manual mode to begin with?
Old 10-26-2018, 07:32 AM
stsguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to the turbine world

I picked up a used p60e. I'm missing one value and the gsu I want to learn how to pull the info off the ecm to get flight info from the engine can I do this with a PC 8nstead of the gsu