Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

140RX ECU Doesn't Recognize It's Own Engine

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

140RX ECU Doesn't Recognize It's Own Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 03:36 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 140RX ECU Doesn't Recognize It's Own Engine

Hi Guys,
I sent my engine, ECU and pump (5 years old, but 1 hour total time) to George for an ECU update and test run. I got it back with a fresh update and a new cable set as George found a break in one of the small wires... good catch.

I flew the engine 2x in one day two weeks ago and 1 time last week.... the engine runs absolutely great.

If there is anything somebody knows I could do without sending it back, that would be fantastic. What would cause the ECU to do this in just 3 flights after it's update?

Thanks for reading and offering any suggestions,
Old 07-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

What does it say on the GSU then? P-20?? If so it’s had a spark, maybe connecting the battery without a clean plug in.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:48 AM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dave, thanks for responding. The engine is a kero start (RX)... no glow plug.

the issue I had was when I power up the ecu, the GSU displays all the boot up info, then at the end of displays 'Engine Unknown' and will not successfully start.

I talked with George Monday night and he walked me though a 'reset' of sorts via manipulating the GSU keys. We got it to finally recognize it has a 140rx.

After talking with him, I did a learn rc again and attempted a start(s). The boot up went as it should, it sees a 140rx. It attempts a start by spinning the compressor abnormally fast, like a propane start. It fails the start and indicates 'low rpm' in the gsu display.

Per my emails with George, he wants me to video and send the boot up and start attemp... which I'll do tonight. I'll share the video here as well. I have a returning P80SE on the way back from service, so I'm not without an engine for the upcoming events.

I have a great appreciation and respect for George DelMoral of JetCat Americas in Virginia. He's doing all he can remotely to bail me out via emails/phone calls without sending it back to him.

If anything has experienced this issue, I'd love to hear what the issue and fix was.

thanks for reading guys!

Mike T
Old 07-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Does the starter start slow and then speed up or instantly fast?
Have you gone through the test function menus checking fuel valves and burner test ( where you can see a a bright light inside the combustion chamber)

George is the man to sort you out