JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

P60 SE propane start issue

Old 07-21-2019, 08:02 AM
legamin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default P60 SE propane start issue

Hello,

I have a p60 on one of my plane. Last week I decided to convert to kero sart and followed the instructions. ECU was switched to kero start mode ( ECU V6.0). I performed several attempts to start the engine without any result. Because we are in the summer and the plane fly a lot I decided to not investigate more and return to original propane configuration. I made a entirly new propane plumbing and reinstaled a common glowplug for propane start.
During start atempts I got no propane light up ( no I didn't forget to reconfigurate ECU to propane start).
After investigation I can say that there is no voltage delivered to the glow plug during start sequence.

I determined that by simply initiating a start sequence with the glow plug removed but connected to the turbine ( positive with the glow plug cap and ground contact established on the turbine case) the glow plug stayed cold. I also measured the voltage with a voltmeter, it remain zero.......

the glow plug is ok ( tested on a other glow plug power source)
the glow plug power in the ECU programation is set to the default 2.1V.

Before I send turbine for repair, I would like to know if I could have induced a kind of bug in the ECU when I switched from one start mode to the other and if a procedure exist to perform a factory reset of the ECU

thanks a lot

Last edited by legamin; 07-21-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You sure the rubber cap has slipped and the brass tube is not making contact?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 AM
legamin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for reply, yes I am sure of that,
Old 07-21-2019, 11:14 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Before you send it in, you might as well do the same glow plug test using the Glow Plug Power test in the Test Functions menu. Page 39 in the manual I have. Same thing, plug out, cap attached, plug touching case. If that fails, likely you have a blown power board, probably one of the FET's in the ECU (or at least whatever controls the FET for the glow plug). Why it would happen, I don't know.

To do a soft ECU reset, hold the Select Menu button down while powering on. Hold the button past Learn R/C, past Calibrate Temp until it does the reset. Probably 15-20 seconds total. Very unlikely this will accomplish anything to fix the problem.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:14 PM
legamin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thks for your reply, I will do that tomorrow ( it's 12 pm here) and I'll let you know. By the way turbine need to go in maintenance it need a 25 hrs checkup and I have a spare turbine that can go in the plane.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:38 PM
legamin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello again,

I performed ECU factory reset and test the glow plug voltage all the way possibles, no volts. Turbine will be removed from the plane and send for repair. Thank you for your kind help on that issue
Old 07-22-2019, 07:56 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whos the place to talk to these days for jetcat support/parts? I have an old 120 that possibly needs service, propane valve...
Old 07-22-2019, 09:10 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For service and parts, DreamWorks, George is your go to guy, complete the request form before you send it, you will find the form on the DW site, email George your questions.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:24 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
For service and parts, DreamWorks, George is your go to guy, complete the request form before you send it, you will find the form on the DW site, email George your questions.
Will do, thanks!