Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

P-160 "Slow Acc"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 08:15 AM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P-160 "Slow Acc"

Dear Sir,

I have recently purchased a brand new P-160 from JetCat Germany. This turbine is installed in my 1/5th Scale L-39 from Airworld. I have had 12 failed start attemts now and the GSU is giving "Slow Acc" as the reason.

I may be of interest to you that this is my THIRD JetCat turbine, and I have been operating the P-80 and 120 for almost 3 years now. I can honestly say that I am well familiar with their operations.

So back to my 160. Ignition is as normal, EGT reaches +/- 750 and at about 18'000 rpm the start aborts and GSU says Acceleration Slow. I have tried these start attemps both upright and inverted (as the turbine in the L-39 sits 45 degrees from bottom dead center).

I have also tried the starts with the gas can connected directly to the valve to eliminate the possibility of there being any problems with the onboard system. The fuel system and plumbing is also free and clear of air. I have tried various pump start voltages from .175 to .250, but with no sucess.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yours faithfully,

Darryl Tarr
Old 09-11-2004, 10:55 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: P-160 "Slow Acc"

Darryl, the pump start voltage you have mentioned is out of the loop at 18000 rpm. The second pump voltage parameter needs to be address, which can only be done with a special code through the GSU.

Have you tried to contact JetCat Germany yet?

If you have problems there, I can walk you through the process over the phone from work on Monday. If you need it taken care of immediately call me at home this weekend and I will get you going. I am located in California, PST. (661) 256-2357
Old 09-11-2004, 11:05 AM
darryltarr

Hello John,

Thank you for your input. I tried to contact JetCat Germany today and only got the answering machine. I guess they don't work on a weekend. Out of interest on the GSU info menu the following was observed:

Last off pump voltage = .55
Last off RPM = 18600
Last off temp = 682
Last off cond = Acc Slow

John, I live in the Middle East as an ex-patriot. We are GMT + 4Hrs. Confirm PST is GMT -6Hrs.

Can I call you now!!

Cheers,

Darryl
Old 09-11-2004, 11:08 AM
darryltarr

Hello John,

Thank you for your input. I tried to contact JetCat Germany today and only got the answering machine. I guess they don't work on a weekend. Out of interest on the GSU info menu the following was observed:

Last off pump voltage = .55
Last off RPM = 18600
Last off temp = 682
Last off cond = Acc Slow

John, I live in the Middle East as an ex-patriot. We are GMT + 4Hrs. Confirm PST is GMT -6Hrs.

Can I call you now!!

Cheers,

Darryl
Old 09-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Darryl Tarr
PST is GMT - 8 hrs. (The US east coast is GMT -5 ; west coast - Pacific Standard Time - is another 3 hours out)

Good luck,
Gordon
Old 09-11-2004, 07:17 PM
John Redman

He called right after I posted Gordon. I am guessing he was monitoring the RCU board. I am hoping we got him goin.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:09 AM
darryltarr

John,

Thank you for talking me through the stage 2 pump settings. I am very greatful for your help and support. Unfortunately my turbine is still the same. Start failures at about 18000 RPM and the usual "Accel Slow" message. I tried taking the second stage pump volatage up to 0.925, but had no success.

I will be calling JetCat Germany first thing in the morning. Just out of curiosity, could this be a fault with the ECU only, or do you suspect an internal problem with the turbine. The turbine spins freely and there are no obvious bad or strange noises at all.

Thanks again.

Darryl
Old 09-12-2004, 09:22 PM
John Redman

Darryl,

I would suspect a bad pump before something in the engine.

I am sorry it didn't work out for you. Do you by chance have another pump you could stick in and give a try. Also I know it sounds pretty lame, but are you sure there are no restrictions in the fuel system?
Old 09-12-2004, 09:33 PM
darryltarr

John,

Before I sent you my previous email I went through another troubleshootin process. This involved a total bypass of the onboard fuel system by connecting my BVM overflow tank directly to the pump. I also bypassed the fuel filter. No improvement.

I then did a factory reset on the ECU and still no success.

I have a P-80 and P-120 but they are installed in my Kangaroo and BVB Bandit respecfully, and using one of those pumps will mean some serious un-instalation. I will talk with JetCat Germany and tell them I have been in contact with you and see if they could FEDEX me a pump ASAP.

I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Darryl
Old 09-13-2004, 02:57 AM
darryltarr

John, Gordon,

Thanks for your help. JetCat Germany have also been very helpfull today. With some more troubleshooting the Turbine, ECU, and Fuel Pump have to be returned.

Unfortunately these thing do happen from time to time. At least I am greatfull for JetCat's commitment and after service support.

Thank you JetCat Germany and USA.

Darryl
Old 09-13-2004, 09:51 PM
John Redman

Good to hear they are taking care of you. It is possible that something might not be correct in the engine as well, hence why they are having you send it all back in.

Let me know how it progresses.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:10 PM
darryltarr

John,

I ordered a NEW P-160 yesterday, this time from JetCat USA . I am in a desperate hurry for a turbine. My L-39 is ready to fly and I will only get a replacement from JetCat Germany after 3 weeks.

Anyway the JetCat USA website indicates that I will be contacted by email as soon as the order is procesed. I also tried to call them to follow it up but only got the answer machine.

Do you know if yesterday was a holiday, or are they away at a jet meet?

Darryl
Old 09-16-2004, 06:42 PM
John Redman

Darryl,

we have been quite busy and I am out for the Fresno meet nowe. Justin should be in the office. The chances of us getting any 160's is about as low as me winning the Florida state lottery. Keep in mind I live in California.

We don't have any in stock, and currently do not have any slated in to us in the next couple of months.

John