Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Smoker Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:52 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Smoker Setup

The manual shows a smoke system using pressure. My question is does the pressure come from the propane tank (open the propane valve and the smoke valve) or is pressure coming from the case?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:15 AM
marcuskeeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smoker Setup

From the diagram the propane tank is clearly pressurising the smoke tank.
I'm not saying that it IS so, but the diagram is definately 100% saying that.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:19 AM
causeitflies

Yes, if the propane valve opens on smoke command.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU
My question is does the pressure come from the propane tank (open the propane valve and the smoke valve) or is pressure coming from the case?
The pressure to pump the smoke oil comes from the case. When the system is pumping smoke, the starting gas ("propane") valve is closed.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Old 08-16-2006, 12:31 PM
causeitflies

Thanks Matt, that's what I was hoping.
Next questions are whether the valve has to be plugged into the ECU or can the Rx power it? The smoke valve is just a fuel/propane valve right? Can it be proportional?
I know guys have plumbed it differently to use the propane tank for pressure. Since I'm using Kero Start I can get some use out of that useless propane line but I want enough pressure for good smoke.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:24 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

Thanks Matt, that's what I was hoping.
Next questions are whether the valve has to be plugged into the ECU or can the Rx power it? The smoke valve is just a fuel/propane valve right? Can it be proportional?
I know guys have plumbed it differently to use the propane tank for pressure. Since I'm using Kero Start I can get some use out of that useless propane line but I want enough pressure for good smoke.
Hello again,

Yes you need to plug the valve directly into the ECU. The ECU controls the valve, and you use the ECU aux channel to turn smoke on and off. The ECU can also control the smoke itself, to send coded messages (almost like morse code) if you have a battery problem, failsafe or something like that.

And yes the valve is just a shutoff valve, on or off.

For a kerosene start option, you would just run the now unused propane fitting from the front of the cowl to the smoke tank plumbing. Then the smoke valve operates the same as it would in the case of a propane/butane starting turbine. I have not used one myself but I know others that have and were please with the performance. It certainly is simple and worth trying before going to an external pump, as the only delta cost is a shutoff valve that most people have a spare for in any case.

Hope that helps somewhat,

Old 10-16-2006, 07:54 PM
chuckels
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,
how much pressure is available at the propane port?
also the diagram looks like it pushes propane into the smoke tank during startup??
I too have kero start and would really love to use the pressure tap from the turbine if thats really whats going on.
thanks,
chuck
Old 10-17-2006, 01:46 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: chuckels

Matt,
how much pressure is available at the propane port?
also the diagram looks like it pushes propane into the smoke tank during startup??
I too have kero start and would really love to use the pressure tap from the turbine if thats really whats going on.
thanks,
chuck
The pressure available would depend entirely on the power setting, maybe 20-40 PSI.

I do not think very much starting gas would go into the tank, as the flow rates are very very small.

Hope that helps,