Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

2-cycle oil vs turbine oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:06 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: 2-cycle oil vs turbine oil

Matt PM'd me asking why I slammed JetCat. I explained I was not slamming anyone & there's nothing wrong with the engines, great products & that's why they are market leaders in Oz & probably the US as well.

What would be nice would be for Matt to convey to the factory that people are interested in using other than turbine oil in their Jetcats & that the factory should do some testing so they can recommend an alternative.

After all, 99% of turbines are basically variations on the same design. THe reason for that is what we buy is what works, it's no surprise that they are all similar. If Wrens & Jet Central turbines run on alternative oils & the manufacturers are prepared to warrant the engines when using these oils can someone give me a technical reason why Jetcats cannot? ( I don't consider 'because Jetcat says so' or 'because I use turbine oil & it works' technical reasons.)

If I were to buy another turbine it would most likely be a Jetcat, not that I'm unhappy with my Wren. What would I do? Probably use turbine oil until it was out of warranty & then run something else. - John.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 AM
josecilurzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excellent explanation Harry! I agree fully, and the John also is correct, however, the manufacturers needs to certify the oil 2T for use, after exhausting tests as he was made with the turbine oil. If I had much money also I would test.
John you use oil 2T with frequency in its engine?

When I said with Jesus Artes, he said that the turbine oil was used by supporting high temperatures and high attrition (bearings), however, it already studied the use of the oil 2T, unhappyly it retired, definitively the father of the microturbines, had the grateful satisfaction of knows him, heard all history of the main turbines and the aid that had had gratuitously of Jesus. Not to generate controversy I prefer not to speak, therefore, today we have excellent turbines, however, thanks to Jesus Artes!
The big engines turn little, therefore, the research with the oil 2T started for the "bigers" ( the first turbine to use oil 2T was an prototype to military use called ELEPHANT!!! ( its a big monster!!! ).

we go changing ideas!!

thank's
José
Old 10-05-2007, 01:20 AM
John H.

I have used 2-stroke oil for years in my two p80s and ram 500s with no problems. Make sure its tcw3 and not tc rated. Tc oils gets very thick when it gets cold or
sits around a long time and starter has hard time turning the engine.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Boomerang1

John H, thanks for the heads up. I checked the specs the best I could for Castrol TTS oil & it is listed as JASCO FC which appears to be the equivalent of TC rating. I had exactly the problem you mentioned, the starter struggled to turn the engine over after it being left for a while. TTS is recomended by Wren but the driving instructions for the engine specify TCW 3 (outboard oil)

Jose, do you mean 2 cycle oil? If that's the case, yes, I put about 3 litres of oil through the engine. - John.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:56 AM
josecilurzo

John,two cycle and 2T oil, is the same 2-stroke oil.

you're already had disassembled the engines to verify the consuming of the bearings, the conditions of the injectors and combustion chamber ?

( I would like that our forum, had the presence of the manufacturers ) [&o]

jose
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM
josecilurzo

I told with Carlos a few days, and he said to me, the EXXON turbine oil, obstructs the injectors.

jose
Old 10-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Boomerang1

Jose, no, I have not disassembled my turbine, I'm like 99% of modellers who just turn the key & go. I just rely on the recommendations of my turbine manufacturer - Wren. I'm sure Jetcat service hundreds of engines & base their recommendations on what they feel is satisfactory. At this point in time Jetcat says told turbine oil only.

Perhaps this discussion should be on the general jet forums, not the Jetcat specific forum, as Jetcat has made it's position clear. I'm sure there is one already about alternative oils. - John.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:47 AM
josecilurzo

Hi John,

I agree total to you, and I find that we do not have to lock up the discussion, and to open a new in the general jet forum.
How many hours, and, I do that
how many hours has your engine of functioning with 2-stroke oil ?
I go to open a specific forum ( in general jet forum ) to try to continue to this, I hope that the guys ahead the discucion!!

jose
Old 09-14-2009, 10:29 PM
heraldoboldrin

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

any news about what oil to use?? here in brasil turbine oil are very expensive....
Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 AM
SinCityJets

I think some have been using a high quality 2 cycle oil successfully......I'm curious if this is ok too??
Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 PM
morro

I have read this thread throughley and I to have worked extensively with turbines and flown for over 20 years, I am still walking upright and I have had no ill effects from turbine oil or fuel.
my question is, is there hard data to prove that people have got sick or grown several limbs from the use of this product, turbines are built to use a specific oil and from what I have read with the data SUPPLIED on this thread there is always a question mark after the comment.

I am not willing to gamble my turbines on an oil that has questionably been proven.

If jetcat said the use of other oils apart fron turbine oils is ok to use I would make sure my
warrantes are covered.

regards
Todd
Old 10-10-2009, 10:36 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: morro

.........I have had no ill effects from turbine oil or fuel.
my question is, is there hard data to prove that people have got sick or grown several limbs from the use of this product..........

I've spent the majority of my life working as an avionics tech on commercial jets, fighter jets and attack helicopters and I'd hate to guess the number of hours i have spent wallowing in mil-spec 23699 turbine oil repairing wires, installing harnesses, hooking up test equipment, doing MOCs, etc... etc... etc....and knock on wood so far I've seen no consequences from it.........ask me again in 40 more yrs. on the other hand, i wish i had wore hearing protection allot more often......
Old 10-10-2009, 10:41 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: morro

.........I have had no ill effects from turbine oil or fuel.
my question is, is there hard data to prove that people have got sick or grown several limbs from the use of this product..........

I've spent the majority of my life working as an avionics tech on commercial jets, fighter jets and attack helicopters and I'd hate to guess the number of hours i have spent wallowing in mil-spec 23699 turbine oil repairing wires, installing harnesses, hooking up test equipment, doing MOCs, etc... etc... etc....and knock on wood so far I've seen no consequences from it.........ask me again in 40 more yrs. on the other hand, i wish i had wore hearing protection allot more often......
Ahh, so that explains it [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can't blame turbine oil for my abrasive personality, i had that long before i got into aviation
Old 10-10-2009, 11:27 PM
morro

Nice to here you have not had any side affects as well!!

Sounds like if this turbine oil is so dangerous I should take up smoking. Which one would kill me the quickest????

Todd