Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

P 80 issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default P 80 issues

I have a P 80 with 4hr 30 min total run time lately I say in the last 10 runs on the first
start of the day the tail cone will glow red and the engine will shut down with accel low
on the display. I do believe some of the problem to be the starter I did find that the
bendix was hanging up but I have corrected that, also some of the time I was useing
a non Jetcat battery And I noticed that on start the voltage on that Battery really drops.

My second concern is that while at idle or when on throttle up the engine will occasionally
pop with a slight flame comming out the tail at about the 5 oclock area.

My ECU is ver 5.0 the the engine is about 6years old I just got my waiver this year so
the engine did see a lot of use untill the last few months.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:45 PM
raptorlogo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P 80 issues

Hello,

I also have a similar issue with my P80.
Before last week-end my engine ran perfectly, total running time is about 2.5 hours.
During this week-end I had a lot of difficulties to start my P80, gaz ignition was OK, turbine speed increased, seems to switched on kero and suddenly the engine shut down.
ECU status was ACCEL TOO SLOW!!! Nether had such issue until now.

After 3 or 4 trials, the engine started perfectly...!
This scenario occured during all the week-end, impossible to start the engine at the first time.

Thank you for your help.

Alain
Old 07-29-2008, 01:05 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I have experienced exactly the same issue with a P70 when the ambient temperature became warmer last may / june. You need to increase the initial voltage of the fuel pump. That fixed the problem in my case.
See the jet cat user manual here http://www.jetcatusa.com/PDFFiles/In...l%20V6.0J2.pdf page 13

Arnaud
Old 07-29-2008, 08:01 AM
raptorlogo

Hello,

Today I made a couple of trials to start my P80 engine (ECU 6.0G).

Before I increased step by step the initial voltage of the fuel pump from 0.20v (factory setting) to 0.275v.

Nothing new, I did not succeed, the engine always shut down with the ACCEL LOW state.
With 0.275v I got flames , so I gave up.

Max RPM was between 30 000 to 32 000.

Do you have any idea ?

Thank you in advance

Old 07-29-2008, 10:00 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

At this point, I would disconnect the fuel line and run the fuel pump manually (see user manual). It appears that something is obstructing fuel or your fuel pump is weak. Check the filter, the lines, the UAT and solenoid. Hopefully someone more knowledgable from Jetcat will answer...

Arnaud
Old 07-30-2008, 11:58 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: ira d

I have a P 80 with 4hr 30 min total run time lately I say in the last 10 runs on the first
start of the day the tail cone will glow red and the engine will shut down with accel low
on the display. I do believe some of the problem to be the starter I did find that the
bendix was hanging up but I have corrected that, also some of the time I was useing
a non Jetcat battery And I noticed that on start the voltage on that Battery really drops.

My second concern is that while at idle or when on throttle up the engine will occasionally
pop with a slight flame comming out the tail at about the 5 oclock area.

My ECU is ver 5.0 the the engine is about 6years old I just got my waiver this year so
the engine did see a lot of use untill the last few months.

Hi Ira,

First, the slight flame at 5 o'clock is perfectly normal and a result of the swirl pattern in the combustion chamber.

If the starter is slipping or not providing proper torque, you can have the starting problems you have mentioned. How many RPM can the starter spin the turbine to in a manual "spin up"?

Sorry for the late reply, we have been busy with a move at (real) work.

Regards,

Old 07-31-2008, 12:52 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the reply the starter can spin the engine up about 5K however it seems
to be drawing a lot of current I put a amp meter in line and it was pulling 20 amps
and getting very hot, the turbine however spins very free and takes a long time
to spool down after I disengage the starter so I think its fine, But I do have a new
starter on order.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah I just got off the phone with Bob, he told me of your order, when you get that starter get ahold of m, I got tips on changing it, it is not hard but can be unforgiving if you break the copper leads.

Talk to you later,
Old 08-15-2008, 11:33 AM
raptorlogo

Hello,

Finally I solved my ACC SLOW issue.

The problem was the gaz pressure, I am using an external bottle of mix gaz (30% propane and 70% butane).

The pressure was too high and was certainly the cause of my flame out during the starting process.

I close a little bit the bottle valve and my P80 is now starting very well.

Alain