Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

P120SE Wet Starts

Old 09-16-2008, 07:12 PM
teamkaos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P120SE Wet Starts

Hi

I have a new P120 SE with V6 ecu which I test ran for the first time recently. The first start was very wet with lots of flame which died down once the motor reached normal operating conditions. I thought this just may have been due to some air traped in the lines and a new motor. The next start did the same thing and I tried again last night and the start was also very wet and hot. It appears to be only during the start phase when the kero starter is operating, when the motor switches to the main fuel supply, the flame dies away and everything appears normal.

Can any one shed any light on what might be causing this? I've checked the ecu settings which look okay, kero start enabled, 2S lipo for the power supply. The starter is a new version 2 type.

The motor is installed in a Comp ARF Flash which requires the start valve to be positioned slightly below the horizontal position, ie around the 8 oclock or 4 oclock position. Could this be causing problems for the start valve?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Rod
Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Extractor

Default RE: P120SE Wet Starts

Not sure I can help with the flames on start up but I am interested in what the version 2 starter is and how is it different from . lets say , the version 5 ECU and associated turbines.

Steve
Old 09-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Rod,
all my SE engines with kerostart spits a few flames on startup, thats quite normal. You might try to do the "drip" test shown in the manual, basically your Uaccl1 voltage can be a little too high, this voltage is used for the pump during the "kero start phase", try lowering a bit and see if the flames gets smaller....
Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 PM
teamkaos

Hi

Thanks for the reply, that is what I'm going to try next. The flame is about 3 feet in length, which is not normal but very impressive! I have a P80 with the version 1 kero starter which never flamed and always started first time, everytime. I've noticed that the P120 is tending to start much quicker than the P80 does so the pump voltage may be too high, leading to too much fuel, etc. I had a look at the Uaccel1 setting on the ecu last night and it was 2.25, does this sound too high? I'm not sure what the default factory value for this parameter should be. Does anyone know?

Rod
Old 09-18-2008, 02:28 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you mean 0.225 ? (I hope so )
My P80's are set at 0.175 and P60/P160 at the same. I originally had P80 on 0.225, this gave long flames as you describe, so stepped it down to 0.175, that works perfect
Old 09-18-2008, 06:10 PM
teamkaos

Hi cgroen

Thanks for confirming that, I'll try a value like 0.175 and see what happens. And sorry about the units, I remembered the numbers but not the decimal point.

I was going to check my P80 but it's all packed away at the moment, I might get it out and plug it all together and see what value it is using.

Cheers

Rod