Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

P60 converted to kerostart, problem starting it

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

P60 converted to kerostart, problem starting it

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:21 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: P60 converted to kerostart, problem starting it

The fuel ramp will only start after a certain temp is reached during the preheat. If it doesn't reach it in a certain amount of time you get a timeout.

From the vids it appears that first you have ignition and the temps rise but not fast enough for a ramp. Then when trying again while the temps are up and should be able to reach ramp temp but now the battery is down slightly and the plug doesn't get hot enough for ignition, only smoke.

PS you shouldn't get smoke around the plug. Make sure it's tight (finger tight) but don't force it. It looks like you have the "O" ring and spacers (metal and Teflon).
Old 01-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Selleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KC36330

there is no RPM increase after ignition, to me that says you're getting NO FUEL in the CC from the primary feed line.
I tried blowing the fuel line and no resistance.

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

The fuel ramp will only start after a certain temp is reached during the preheat. If it doesn't reach it in a certain amount of time you get a timeout.

From the vids it appears that first you have ignition and the temps rise but not fast enough for a ramp. Then when trying again while the temps are up and should be able to reach ramp temp but now the battery is down slightly and the plug doesn't get hot enough for ignition, only smoke.

PS you shouldn't get smoke around the plug. Make sure it's tight (finger tight) but don't force it. It looks like you have the "O" ring and spacers (metal and Teflon).
Finger tight it is
Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Selleri

The plot thickens... now the big question is... is my plug bust or has the ECU software got some kind of error... or just something totally unrelated...

Why do I say this and make a face like this >
I borrowed starting gas and replumed my Intro for gas start and used the original u1 and u2 settings... 3 successful starts in a row

As I tend to be lazy I'll probably just use gas start, for now, and maybe take the plug and install it on a engine my mate has, it isn't like he's flying it and see what happens.

I made a video of the three starts > [link=http://www.youtube.com/sverrirgu]http://www.youtube.com/sverrirgu[/link] < around 1:10 the GSU says

Pump Parameters
- - - STORED - - -

What is the meaning of that?

Also the first start is quite wet, probably left over fuel from last night?
The small blue flame you see in start 2 and start 3 is that what might be classed as normal?

So I'm one happy bunny

I'd like to thank the people that pondered over the problem with me and helped me debug the setup

Roll on jet age, though I might be a bit spoiled when it comes to the Intro as I got a chance to fly a XL last summer
Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Selleri

I'll let you know if I ever get around to trying the plug on another turbine.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't feel bad. My kero plug is sitting in the box also. It seems the P60 is the toughest to get right on kero start. Gas start is so much easier on this engine.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm running kerostart on all my P60SE's as are my friend, no problems what so ever...(also no problems at freezing temps, with the 2500 mA/H battery delivered with the engine)
Old 01-26-2009, 04:48 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Selleri

I made a video of the three starts > [link=http://www.youtube.com/sverrirgu]http://www.youtube.com/sverrirgu[/link] < around 1:10 the GSU says

Pump Parameters
- - - STORED - - -

What is the meaning of that?
that is the ECU storing the pump voltage values for max RPM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mark,
Give me a good deal on that plug!!! I have been running P-60`s on kero start and have been in the hundreds of starts with only minor problems. Mostly due to fuel pumps being weak.
V..
Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Selleri

No offer for mine
Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Mace
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your starter contacting any part of the former just in front of it? If so, you need to back your engine up a little and that noise will probably go away significantly. This would be an alternative to a new starter.

MACE

ORIGINAL: Selleri

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

Smoke means no ignition. You should get ignition immediately. Is that an older style kero plug?
Also your starter sounds terrible!
I'm not sure what version it is. It was bought new last August.

Well as it's the only starter I know I couldn't tell Should it be replaced?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Selleri

ORIGINAL: Mace

Is your starter contacting any part of the former just in front of it? If so, you need to back your engine up a little and that noise will probably go away significantly. This would be an alternative to a new starter.

MACE
Mace I think it was just the FOD screen fouling up the starter, when I was changing back to gas start I paid special attention to putting it on so it wouldn't put any pressure on the starter unit. Suffice to say it doesn't sound like that any more