Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

P70 startup issue

Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 AM
georbeckha
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P70 startup issue

Hello all,

I have just gotten around to installing my P70 that had to be rebuilt twice because it tried to eat itself into a brand new airframe and have come accross an issue I have never come across before.
I Plug in the ECU battery (Standard 6 cell 1250 Mah NiCd) into the ECU and I hear a 'tic' from the turbine itself. Well, that's ok...
I then turn the RX power on and immediately the turbine spins up to about 11000 rpm on battery power alone. Also the temp sensor was reading about 115 degrees. Well, with the turbine spinning I go thru the temp probe calibration and now it reads correctly. BUT, the turbine still spools up to 11000 or so and the power cable plug at the ECU end gets really really hot! Actually, the battery from fully charged starts to get the BattLow error after just a couple of minutes.
The turbine does not even give it's ready beeps when the RX power is turned on. it immediately begins to spin. (And yes, I did manage to go thru the learn radio steps before the ECU battery drained but still had no effect)

Has anyone else had this problem? The ECU/Turbine was upgraded from V5 to V6 after the first visit to JetCat.

George
Old 07-14-2009, 06:33 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: P70 startup issue

Hello,

The only time I have seen the turbine start to spin like this, it was because the antenna on the TX was extended and too close to the ECU.

This sounds a bit different and I encourage you to call Bob before you try to plug it in again.

Regards,
Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 AM
georbeckha
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks Matt,

Right now with the P70 bolted secureley in place, the ECU and RX are just sitting there. I have the aerial over one side of the cockpit to the front, and the cables etc for the turbine hanging out the other side at the back.

I was intending on calling Bob yesterday but I got sidetracked by that horrible 4 letter word... WORK. LOL
I'll make time to call today. I appreciate the input. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and if there was an easy quick fix.

George

Old 07-15-2009, 05:20 AM
NightSwan

Sounds like a broken ECU to me if it spins up like that without reason.

What does the GSU display say? Is the starter on led lit? If not, it's a good hint you'll have to send the ECU in.