Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Enough Propane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM
shepp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enough Propane?

I'm havine some difficulty in starting my new p80se... The first 4 or 5 starts were flawless, however I began to get an "Acc Slo" message and the engine would not complete its starting cycle. We were able to start the engine by injecting more powermax during the start cycle. Seems like the engine was not getting enough propane. However, when I vented the propane tank, there was considerable propane gas venting.
During filling the propane system, the "bubbles" slowed down just like the book says, so I think I am filling the system per instructions.
I checked the filter and it was not clogged. I am new to this and would appreciate any assistance. It has been suggested that I change some of the acceleration parameters or increase the propane values in the ECU. However I'm not sure I know how.
BTW, I love the engine plenty of power for the Elan and other than this starting issue ran great.
I appreciate the help

Shepp
Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Enough Propane?

check your pump start voltage
Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 PM
shepp

Add.
After trying to start again, with the same results, I deceided to remove the onboard propane tank. After venting the propane I proceeded to remove the tank from its mounting. When I shook the tank to remove it vented more propane . After I removed it, with all lines removed, it vented again and continued to vent for several seconds, both liquid and gas. Am I experiencing freezing in the tank or do you think I have some obstruction in it? Or what.
Also, what pump starting voltage should I look for. When running it shows 5

thanks again

Shep
Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 PM
KC36330

that's normal for PowerMax.

pump start voltage is Uaccelr1, as long as it's not over 0.325, bump it up a few points.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:36 PM
shepp

addendum 2
rigged up a quick disconnect for propane tank, now tank is outside airframe and setting on floor. retried to start , no go , with same problem shown. For giggles, I tried shaking the tank during the start cycle, engine starts every time. I just watch for bubbles in gas line and continue to shake tank until engine starts. Whats up with this??
btw, pump start voltage shows .3 and then .5 when engine is running
Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
KC36330

pump start voltage isn't set/checked with engine running.

if shaking the PowerMax makes it start, turn up the gas flow percentage 10% and try again.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 PM
shepp

pump start voltage was .200 so I bumped it to .250, propane % is at 70% I have not changed it
I will try again tomorrow.
Thanks for you help

Shep
Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 PM
shepp

Problem Resolved.

It was not a propane issue. Talked with Bob at Jetcat and he walked me through some parameter changes the appears to resolve the starting issue. What a great guy. He stayed on the phone with me through several aborted starts and was able to diaganose the problem by listening to the engine. It makes me proud I bought a JET CAT.

Shepp
Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 AM
wirlybird

At the end of the day it's all about the service , and that's why you're a happy man.
Dave.