Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

This is for the guys in Australia

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

This is for the guys in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:05 AM
wetsleeves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is for the guys in Australia

Hi,
Im building a twin turbine boat powered by 2 SPM5 jetcat turbines, (I know its a plane forum) but I was wondering where do you purchase the oil from that you mix with your fuel?
Also where do you get your k-1 kero from?
I live close to an airport so I may be able to get jet-A1 fuel as well.
Thanks in advance
Peter
Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Dave Burns

Default RE: This is for the guys in Australia

Hi Peter,
Any airport running privat jets in and out usually has an off-base fuelling system, which you should be able to purchase Jet A1 at in bulk.

As to the turbine oils, this can be the same place as well, but your local service stationcan order in for you, but takes a lot longer.

You haven't mentioned which airport you are close to or what state in Auss you are - that would help.

Just make sure you don't use Mobil Jet 11 for the oil - the burnt residue of Mobil Jet 11 is highly dangerous to your health.

Regards
Dave Burns
IJMC Rep. Australia/New Zealand
Old 06-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Peter,
You do not need to use Jet 1A....Jet A is fine. I have been using Use Jet A for 11 years so far....
The only difference between Jet A and Jet A1 is the freezing point...Jet A at -40° C, and Jet A1 at -47° C.
Both fuels have the same flash point and autoignition temperatures. They also have the same specific energy.
You can use either type alternately and interchagebly.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:09 AM
wetsleeves

Thanks for the replies.
I live in the Illawarra. The airport is Albion Park and I think that they do sell Jet A fuel as there are a few jets that take of from there.
If I do think about it, the pumps there are Shell.
What is the difference between K-1 Kerosene and normal Kerosene?
I also have a service station up the road which is Shell so what is the best oil to get?
Thanks once again
Peter
Old 06-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Harley Condra

Both grades are "normal" kerosenes.

K-1 kerosene is water clear or can be slightly yellow in color. It is usually used in oil lamps, and usually costs about a US Dollar more per gallon than red kerosene.
Red dyed Kerosene, is used for farm implements that are not required to pay road taxes. (Another idiotic, unconstitutional edict that we are stuck with by the Clinton Administration...read the Tenth Amendment). It is referred to as #1 Stove Oil in the USA. Some of the turbine guys in the USA use the red dyed fuel.

Either grade works well in our engines, after mixing in the appropriate percentage of turbine oil.

If you use the kerosene from bulk (Petrol station pumps), make sure you filter it before use, as sometimes bulk grade kerosene will contain more impurities than the harware store canned fuel.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:13 PM
wetsleeves

I went to the hardware store and had a look there at their kerosene.
They had a blue kerosene and a clear kerosene which was double the price. The clear kerosene also had odourless writen on the bottle.
So either of the two can be used is that correct?
Thanks for the help
Peter
Old 06-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Harley Condra

Yes, that is correct.
Use either one.