Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

Pusher configuration

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:17 AM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pusher configuration

I have an SJ-50 mounted in a pusher configuration. Do I need to have a "turn-around" on the end of the exhaust pipe or can it just blow strait out in the direction of flight. I guess my concern is that there may be excess back pressure as the plane speeds up.

Thanks for your help
Old 05-04-2004, 03:23 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Pusher configuration

Hi,

Thanks for writing.

In general, there is not a big problem with the forward facing exhaust. But it helps if you can install a deflector on it, just so there is not a direct airstream. Use one of the great planes exhaust deflectors, or something similar to that product will do the trick.

What ever you wish to use, just make sure the inside diameter is larger than the muffler exhaust opening.

Just out of curiosity....which prop will you be using ?

Bob Brassell
Old 05-04-2004, 03:48 PM
TopShelf

Thanks, I had one of those deflecters on there and it blew off. I guess I'll work on getting it more firmly attached

I will be running a 10x6 APC to start with. I'll probably experiment with some others. I was thinking of trimming a 10x7 down to 9.75 and see how that works but thats after I get it flying well and comfortable with the AC.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:49 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

A good starting point.

The smaller diameter prop will allow the engine to turn up more....... it will run even better at higher rpm.

On the diverter, clean the aluminum well with some alcohol, and put a small amount of orange (high temp) RTV silicone on the surface of the exhaust. Just a thin layer. Then install the diverter, and realllllllllllllly tighten down on the tie wraps. Let it set up over night.

A while back, someone showed me an installation where they used a 90deg siliocone spark plug boot as a diverter. No report on how it worked, but it looked ok from the images.

I checked out your web site..... plane looks very nice! keep me posted !

Bob
Old 05-05-2004, 11:07 AM
TopShelf

Bob, thanks, that's exactly what I did this morning