Community
Search
Notices
Dub Jett Engines Support Bob Brassel of Dub Jett Engines provides direct support here for Jett Engines.

SJ 46 parts questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 02:27 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SJ 46 parts questions

Bob,

I recently picked up a SJ 46 off E-bay that didn't come with either the carb or muffler. Other than the original carb and muffler are there any other units that would fit the frame?

This engine is destined for a Diamond Dust so I'm not overly concerned with absolute performance, although any gains are always a good thing. I like tinkering.

Pete
Old 02-08-2006, 03:03 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SJ 46 parts questions

Hi Pete.....

The carb and muffler are 1/2 of the engine's performance. I trust you bid on it accordingly..

The carb/case bore is unique. You can use an OS 46, ASP/Magnum 46/52 carb on there, ST 50 carb --- just about anything will work, but you will have to make a sleeve/adapter to install it into the Jett case.

The muffler bolt spacing is the same as the ST40-45, and the same as the 1990 vintage Webra .40 engine. It is also the same as the Nelson .40. If you can dig up any of those, they will fit.

Keep in mind, without the tuned muffler, you give up a great deal of what the engine is capable of. With a decent carb, and if the piston and sleeve is in real good shape, it may be able to get a 9x7 up to around 16,000-16,500 with a 'standard' muffler. That is about 1200-1500 rpm down from what it would normally run at.

Bob
Old 02-08-2006, 07:30 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did bid accordingly.

I was hoping to use a MAC header and a muffled tuned pipe. I have pipes, but will have to order a header.

It is the carb that had me worried. Go too big and any transition goes out the window but top end will be great....too small and toip end suffers. What would you suggest?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:59 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good.....

Yeah, the mac pipe is fine. MACS usually has headers for Jett 40-50 engines in stock. The ST header I think is the same part.

As for the carb, Ive personally 'experimented' with the OS46FX carb, ASP 46 carb, ST Mag V carb (old ST S-60 carb - flat spraybar). Those all worked well. Most of those draw fuel nicely. Anything like that is fine. Even a Rossi .40 carb might work if it fits. Try what ever you have available. Chances are the transition will be fine.

Bob