Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

New DX8

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 AM
rlongenecker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New DX8

DX8 has many features which Iappreciate. Iflew my T-34 and Pulse 60 with the DX8 for the first time today. Ilove the rubber grips, the balance and the smooth action of the sticks.
It's much faster/easier to program than my DX7 and a real upgrade for me. And, it's got throttle kill.
I'm very pleased so far.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:12 AM
electricpete

Default RE: New DX8

I have also go one and beginning to put all my models on to it. You mention motor kill. does that work on electric, as I inadvertantly started motor when adjusting rudder.

Pete

P.S. I doesn't look very diferent to the DX6i to the one who looks at model purchases
Old 09-26-2010, 03:23 AM
rlongenecker

The Kill Switch works on throttle linkage to a glow engine. Not designed for electric.
Be careful wiht electric motors.

EDIT: Kill Switch does work for electric. I was R-R-R-Wrong.

"On DX8, use Throttle Cut assigned to a switch for electrics. On all my planes I set the Mix switch to Throttle Cut. I adjust the percent so that the ESC sees the same signal for Throttle Cut as when throttle stick is in the off position."

Old 09-26-2010, 05:31 AM
JIMF14D

Look and see if it has "throttle lock" function. Some brands have it. Keeps from accidently running up motor when you carry model or move TX around. Better to keep the throttle off than to try to deal with it after you have run it up by accident! Also, Throttle cut should work for electric also. It just runs the throttle setting to a low level below normal engine trim. Set it up and try it on an electric on the bench.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

On DX8, use Throttle Cut assigned to a switch for electrics. On all my planes I set the Mix switch to Throttle Cut. I adjust the percent so that the ESC sees the same signal for Throttle Cut as when throttle stick is in the off position.

Andy
Old 09-26-2010, 02:28 PM
slarty

There seems to be a problem with some DX8's regarding Heli pitch and using the vibration alert in the countdown timer. There are videos on other forums that you may want to watch and test your DX8 out.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 AM
jschenck
My Feedback: (23)

For throttle on your electric airplane you might look into using the throttle hold feature. This is usually a heli related function for shooting auto's but I'll bet that it could be used in an airplane. The idea is you flip the switch on the back/right side labled "Hold" and the throttle will be 0% no matter what position the throttle stick is at. worst case you could use a heli model program to setup your airplane where the throttle hold feature is available or use a custom mix.

Maybe we can ask Spektrum to add this feature to the DX8 since it's software can be updated. It may already be there, I've setup one airplane on mine but honestly haven't looked to see if this feature is there. I'll look tonight.

Aftger reading about the guy that had his fingers mangled by a 90 sized electric in this months MA magazine that'd be a really good idea.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:57 AM
JIMF14D

Throttle lock is one of Hitec's best saftey features. They have had it for at least 10 years! Also, on the new Aurora 9, the system beeps if you try to turn on the RF with the throttle up or any flight condition except "Normal" on.

Gotta love it!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:11 AM
jschenck

DX8 (and DX7 and 9303 and if I remember correctly my Airtronics RD8000) also alarm if you power up with the throttle not all the way down or if your flight mode switch is not in normal. Great safety feature.

Another great safety feature that I've come to rely on with Spektrum/JR DSM2 radios is the model match. If you have the radio set for model 1 and you turn on model 2 they will not "talk" to each other. You must have the radio set to the correct model or the model will not respond.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe we can ask Spektrum to add this feature to the DX8 since it's software can be updated. It may already be there, I've setup one airplane on mine but honestly haven't looked to see if this feature is there. I'll look tonight.
It's already there. See my post #5 above.

Andy
Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 PM
jschenck

Yep, just went through the programming of my electric airplane tonight. The "Throttle Cut" feature works exactly like that, holds the throttle at 0% no matter what the throttle stick position is. I assigned the function to the "MIX" switch which is the normal location for throttle hold on a heli which does the same function.

DX8 is great !!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 PM
BEAR-AvHistory

Does anyone know of a lipo that will fit other then the optional spektrum? Also what is the max voltage of the stock battery, I might have a bad one.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 PM
jschenck

after updating to the latest firmware v1.02 I charged my radio over night. It came right off the charger at 5.4V displayed. This is about .3V lower than what was being displayed with the original v1.00 firmware.

I haven't seen size spec's on the optional Lipo from Spektrum but it wouldn't be hard to find a 2S pack that will fit in the radio. I'm sure it won't be long before the 3rd party lipo manufactures start selling DX8 sized lipo's.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 AM
BEAR-AvHistory

Same here, went from 5.7 to 5.4 after the upgrade
Old 09-29-2010, 11:38 PM
rlongenecker

Spoke to Tech Support at Horizon Hobby about the results of my "upgrade."

The receiver used to read 5.7 when fully charged and now reads 5.3 fully charged. I asked why.
I was told that 5.7 was erroneous and that the upgrade causes the correct reading to display. (Some on this forum have found 5.4 to be the number after they do the upgrade.)

With the low voltage warning occuring at 4.3 volts, what's the "no fly" voltage level for this battery? For 4.8v receiver batteries Iusually don't fly below 5.0v.

I'd like to know more about what's up with this.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:37 PM
robbyvaughn9

WELL I GESS IM THE ONLY ONE THAT GOT A BAD SD CARD. SOUNDS LIKE YOU GUYS HAVE DONE SOME DOWN LOADING... I JUST USED ONE OUT OF MY CAMERA.. ALL IS GOOD NOW.

ALSO I WANTED TO ASK ABOUT THE 1.0 , 1.02 . IVE NOT DWN LOADED THOSE JUST THE 1.03. DO I HAVE TO DOWN LOAD THE OTHER TWO ALSO ?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM
jschenck

No - the software updates are complete, not "cumulative". That is, the new version has all the updates from all releases. You can update straight to v1.03 from v1.00.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 AM
robbyvaughn9

ORIGINAL: jschenck

No - the software updates are complete, not "cumulative". That is, the new version has all the updates from all releases. You can update straight to v1.03 from v1.00.

THANKS