Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX8 Throttle stick problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:03 AM
bigbird007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DX8 Throttle stick problem

I have a small problem with the throttle stick on the DX8.

Looking at the monitor screen, hands off the radio, it shows 96% on the throttle channel. You can pull the stick back so it reads 100% but most of the time it returns to 96%.

This is a problem for me. Setting the idle for 96% stick position will cause the engine to die if it sticks at the 100% position.

I had a simular problem with the DX7 and when I sent it in they replaced the gimbal as something had worn. I'm pretty sure that is not the case here as the thing is almost new.

Does anyone know anything about the guts of the DX8, is this something user adjustable or do I need to send it in.

Thanks for any info,

bigbird

Old 10-25-2010, 01:32 PM
electricpete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX8 Throttle stick problem

When I set the throttle to idle it is ok and an electric motor won't run When I set up throttle cut and switch it off zero throttle gives a slight rotation on the motor

I have to alter trim to stop motor.

Peter
Old 10-25-2010, 04:24 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You can adjust the throttle cut position on the throttle cut screen. I make it so that it doesn't move when I flip the switch. Also, I run the thr trim all the way down first.

I use it on the Mix switch on all my planes as a throttle lock.

Andy
Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 AM
bigbird007

Andy,

This isn't about software, it's a mechanical problem.

Looking at the monitor screen, hands off the radio, it shows 96% on the throttle channel. You can pull the stick back so it reads 100% but most of the time it returns to 96%.

I took it back to the hobby shop I bought it from and had them look at it. They took it apart and adjusted something and now the stick won't stay at 100% (looking at the monitor screen) at the high end.

I much prefer this to having a high idle when landing or having the engine die when it occasionally sticks at 100%. I fly mostly glow.

bigbird
Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 PM
AndyKunz

That's what local shops are for. Glad to hear they got you happy again.

Andy
Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 AM
mannysouza

my new DX8 does the same thing. Thankfully I have not used it in my 30% electric.

How did they fix it?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:58 PM
bigbird007

Mannysouza,

I don't know, they took it apart and adjusted something. The thing is, it now does the exact same thing on the other end of the throw. Meaning it won't go all the way to full throttle and stay there. I much prefer that to the other way.

You have to unstick the rubber pads to get it apart but mine went back together just like out of the factory.

Hope this helps
Old 12-15-2010, 02:20 PM
AndyKunz

If you decide to open it yourself, it could be that the routing of the wires coming off the stick are acting something like a spring, returning it to center.

Andy
Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 AM
garywaters
My Feedback: (1)

Andy

On my  New DX8,

When I move the throttle stick all the way down ( idle) the stop is not a hard stop, It has a small bounce to it.

With the throttle stick all the way down you can  apply a small amount of down pressure and the stick will move down more, when released  it will spring back up, The movement is very small but you can see movement in the servo as well.

Next
How can I make sure both AR800 Rx and remote Rx are DMS2 or DMSX ????

My New DX8 came with 2 AR800 and remote Rx

Thank you for your help..

Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 AM
bigbird007

Gary,

If you bind the RX to the TX, the screen on the DX 8 will say DSMX if it is. Look at the screen on a bound RX that you know is not DSMX, then look at the screen for the one in question. You should see a difference if it is DSMX.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigbird007

Gary,

If you bind the RX to the TX, the screen on the DX 8 will say DSMX if it is. Look at the screen on a bound RX that you know is not DSMX, then look at the screen for the one in question. You should see a difference if it is DSMX.
If the Main Rx is DSMX but the Satellite Rx is DSM2, will it Bind? I realize they are not compatible, but how would you know if you made that mistake?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 AM
garywaters

Thank you Big Bird........  I'll check tonight...

I want to make sure the  Rx and Satellite Rx are the same ....
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 AM
AndyKunz

When I move the throttle stick all the way down ( idle) the stop is not a hard stop, It has a small bounce to it.

With the throttle stick all the way down you can apply a small amount of down pressure and the stick will move down more, when released it will spring back up, The movement is very small but you can see movement in the servo as well.
Hi Gary,

I'm not very up on the mechanical side of the radio, but this is familiar and I think the answer has to do with how far down things are adjusted. You might want to open the radio up and see what's happening - my guess is that it's either due to an adjustment screw not all the way in the right direction, or perhaps the wires grabbing on the cage maybe? Just ideas. The telephone Support people would probably have more experience with this than me, sorry.

Andy
Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 AM
garywaters

Thank you Andy ,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 AM
garywaters

Hi Andy
I opened up my DX8 again.
Good news,,, I foundwhy the throttle stick had a bounce at idle.
The detent notch on the throttle friction strap needs to be adjusted to match the throttle limiting wedge.
I’ll try to explain.
As the detent on friction strap engages with the serration on the gimbal, it moves up and down in the Valleys and Peaks.

If the detent is not in the Valley of the serration the spring force of the friction strap will push the gimbal so the detent will seat into the valley.
This is what we see as bounce!The movement of the gimbal being moved by the friction strap
This can be adjusted by holding down the throttle stick. Then loosen the 2 friction strap’s anchor screws. This will allow the friction strap to move and seat into a valley on the gimbal. This step can be added to the manual .

Thanks

Gary

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

With the throttle stick all the way down you can apply a small amount of down pressure and the stick will move down more, when released it will spring back up, The movement is very small but you can see movement in the servo as well.
Hi Gary,

I'm not very up on the mechanical side of the radio, but this is familiar and I think the answer has to do with how far down things are adjusted. You might want to open the radio up and see what's happening - my guess is that it's either due to an adjustment screw not all the way in the right direction, or perhaps the wires grabbing on the cage maybe? Just ideas. The telephone Support people would probably have more experience with this than me, sorry.

Andy
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 AM
AndyKunz

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:26 AM
garywaters

Is anybody having an issue with the Spektrum DX8 NOT binding on the first try? If so will you please tell me if the Receiver is a DSMX, DSM2, DSM, Micro BNF.

How many times did you try ?
Any info will be helpful.

Thank You

Last edited by garywaters; 08-13-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:34 AM
AndyKunz

Gary,

Are you 6 feet/2 meters between rx and tx? If no, you should be.

Is the receiver close to the ground or a conductive surface such as a pickup bed or bleachers? If so, try an elevated wooden surface like a picnic table top.

Andy
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by garywaters

Andy

On my *New DX8,

*With the throttle stick all the way down you can *apply a small amount of down pressure and the stick will move down more, when released* it will spring back up, The movement is very small but you can see movement in the servo as well.

Next
How can I make sure both AR800 Rx and remote Rx are DMS2 or DMSX ????

My New DX8 came with 2 AR800 and remote Rx

Thank you for your help..

This is the best way to confirm your RX's are in DSM2 or DSMX mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Tbes9f1_c
Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by garywaters
Hi Andy
I opened up my DX8 again.
Good news,,, I foundwhy the throttle stick had a bounce at idle.
The detent notch on the throttle friction strap needs to be adjusted to match the throttle limiting wedge.
I’ll try to explain.
As the detent on friction strap engages with the serration on the gimbal, it moves up and down in the Valleys and Peaks.

If the detent is not in the Valley of the serration the spring force of the friction strap will push the gimbal so the detent will seat into the valley.
This is what we see as bounce!The movement of the gimbal being moved by the friction strap
This can be adjusted by holding down the throttle stick. Then loosen the 2 friction strap’s anchor screws. This will allow the friction strap to move and seat into a valley on the gimbal. This step can be added to the manual .

Thanks

Gary

Good job tracking down the bounce.. might be worthwhile doing a stick calibration also now that you have adjusted things.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:20 AM
garywaters

Hi Andy ,
The Champ was on the Kitchen Table,maybe one foot away, but the DX5 was one foot away as well and it worked. ( I'll try at 6 foot and see)
The Trainer was in the grass at the field just over 4 to 6 foot away. The Dx5 bound first try,
The 2nd plane was on the run-up stands at the field but I was on the tailgate, the DX5 worked and I was still on the tailgate
All three times, the DX5 bound on the first try after the DX8 failed 3 ~5 times.

When I have time I'll try to bind to all of my Rx at 6 foot in the back yard and see what happens.
If you have any more thoughts I would be more then happy to hear them.

I sent all the receivers to HH and had them checked out. I'm using 6 Volts packs in all the planes.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 AM
garywaters

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Good job tracking down the bounce.. might be worthwhile doing a stick calibration also now that you have adjusted things.
Thank you Frakkin
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 AM
AndyKunz

You got lucky, Gary. The manuals have 6' in them for a reason - because that's what it takes for reliable effort. Some receivers (AR400, for instance) are more insistent than others on the 6' minimum.

Andy
Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 AM
garywaters

Rob 2160 That was excellent, Thank you !!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:11 AM
garywaters

Andy, Why does the Dx5 work all the time no matter how close or far from the plane?
Then after binding the Dx5 the Dx8 will bind no matter how close or far from the plane?
This will be a good experiment, I will make sure I'm 6 feet away and the plane is up off the ground.
I hope this will fix the issue !
Thanks for the help..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.